Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is a good maker of power supply? I notice Antec is the most widely marketed maker of them, and I have a 350-watt in my system. It came with the case.

Should I look for something better, or am I doing OK? I plan on having no more than seven periphrials inside the box. Someone once told me that unless i'm running a server, 350 is quite adequete. A music person told me that 400-watts is the minimum for music, which is what I do.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
It depends a lot on your mobo. Newer P4 mobo's consume more and more power, I cannot understand why so much, but a lot of it comes out your fans as heat.

Also newer P4 mobos, at least, require ATX12V compatible supplies. These have an extra 4 pins of +12V going straight to the CPU. Without this extra hookup, some mobo's won't even turn on.

From the problems people have had around here, we've seen 330-350W is the absolute minimum with newer mobos and minimum peripherals. With 7 peripherals on a newer mobo, even Athlon, you might not even get it to boot, and if it does then I think your supply would be straining to keep up. People with 480W and higher are having practially no supply complaints: no buzzing, ticking, squealing, crackling, or dying supplies.

I'm partial to my Antec True480 supply. Things I thought were really key about it, in Antec's words, were its "dedicated output circuitry for each voltage output {which} overcomes the limitations of combined output of traditional design", and also "voltage feedback to maintain accurate voltage to all components". I don't know how this compares to every other supply, but I do think that a good solid design in a supply should yield stable performance, and so far I've got no complaints other than fan noise.

I'm not sure whether 480W will be enough for you or not, but it would be a lot better than 350W.

A music person told me that 400-watts is the minimum for music
I like that one! Yes! More electrons yield better music! :tongue2:

-clintfan

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ol' buddy! I do indeed have a newer mobo with that 12v supply, and I have had no problems at all. I used to run that many periphreals on my old 7-year-old Gateway with 250 watts with no problems, so I figured the 350 was fine. Actually, I was going to get a 400 watt but I was assurred that 350 was fine for my needs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My Antec PSU is wonderful, and I highly recommend them!
430W might be sufficient, but I don't know what all you're going to hook up to the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.