Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow it seems i have pc probs left and right recently, anyway, i go to switch a hard drive in my pc, and i plug it in, switch it on and it automatically powers on, but after a split second it turns off and will keep doing that, my power supply is an Ultra x2 Connect 550w, mobo is an abit kn8, even when i plug in the power cord, the mobo light does not turn on. sorry if i put this in the wrong section.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Are you trying to boot to Windows from a drive that was loaded from another machine? If so, and that machine had a motherboard with a different chipset, then your problems are likely being caused by the drivers loaded for the other machine. If you want to use this drive, I'd recommend booting from the Windows install disk, and doing a repair on the Windows installation. Then when Windows boots, it will search for new chipset drivers and you will not likely have this problem.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
disconnect the drive and see if it returns to normal
if not i would supect the m/b
first check you did not dislodge a plug when fitting the h/d
try another psu in it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, see the drives were never in another computer, i just have different stuff on other drives, i disconnected each drive seperately, and it just turns on for a split second, and turns right back off. i cannot repair windows much less get a POST for that matter, sorry if i sound like an **** but im also getting pissed i cannot use my own computer i have to use my moms. i have another power supply but for one, its a 420w and im not sure it can power my entire computer and for two, i spilled water on one of the molex connectors and i lost track of which one it was (i know im an idiot lmao) thanks for helpin guys, i really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
what cpu and video card do you have in it
try the other power supply
you only need to get post,if you do then you can work out what powersupply you need to run it properly
if you don't get post we can move on from there and find out why

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
What PanamaGal said was: the 2nd HDD you are connecting, it has Windows installed onto it right? And that installation was done on another PC not when it was connected to this..? If so it will have drivers installed on the HDD that will be for the other PC not this.

Anyway. You need to swap your PSU is what I would say here. Don't connect any extra IDE (no CD/DVD), just one RAM stick, fans, and a HDD and see if it works that way.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
the hard drive from another computer will not stop post
to go for post you only need
cpu
video
ram
speaker

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you put the old drive back in, does it boot up? If it does, the problem likely lies with the other hard drive. If it boots from the old drive that you took out, I'd run a diagnostic on the drive that won't boot. Sorry I missed the part about it rebooting so quickly without even posting. If you try the old drive and it now does the same thing, then you likely have a power supply or mobo problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theres a problem i just found out about the psu, its 20pin, not 20/24 so ill try my moms powersupply later on, ill keep u updated

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i come to find out the mobo connector was loose so i plugged that in and it powered on fine, thanks to my own stupidity i almost went and bought a new psu and mobo. thanks guys for helping i appreciate it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.