Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Somebody Rate My computer, Because my power supply unit maybe can't take my computer's requirements. Suggest Please

My Specs.
Asus P4SPMX-SE
Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz 533 FSB
Asus CD-S520-A\
Sony CD-RW CRX300E
Samsung SP0802N 80GB
Seagate 10GB
MSI MS-Starforce Geforce4 MX440 With AGP8X
SoftV92 Data Fax Modem
OPTI PCI USB
PlavTV TV/FM Tuner
450W Power Supply

My Voltages in Asus PC Probe Shows That
12V= 11.776v
5V= 4.972v
3.3V= 3.104v

Does My Computer Need to Have A New Power Supply?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

You could provide us with a much better measuring stick if you told us what Brand Power supply you have at the present time. 450 watts doesn't mean much if it is not a brand name like Enermax or Antec.

My suggestion would be that anyone who builds a P4 computer, you need to count on at least 500 watts of a major brand. Please know that a brand name supply (don't bother to buy anything except the Enermax or Antec supply) will cost you about 100 bucks. That way you will be good to go with the supply you purchase. A great majority of problems we see here on the forum are because of a no-name off brand power supply that won't produce what they say they do.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
mperevilla said:
My Voltages in Asus PC Probe Shows That
12V= 11.776v
5V= 4.972v
3.3V= 3.104v
these voltages look fine to me. except for that 3.3v.

in this image, is a chart from the document that explains the standards behind ATX power supplies.

in here it explains the minimum and maximum output on each branch, and according to this chart, your 3.3 is the only one low.

anyone that wants to see that pdf, it is here: http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the 3.3 is the one that is low. How could i resolve that problem? What device that takes up that juice that comes from the PSU?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i'm not 100% sure what runs on the 3.3 branch.

i am pretty sure that the motherboard uses it to provide the 1.6-1.8 to the cpu and ram.

also, i think some of the AGP vid cards power comes from this branch.

if you can, you should get a volt meter, and test it again, just to be sure that the motherboard's probe is accurate.

alot of times, the motherboard is a little fuzzy about it.

to test this, turn off and unplug the computer, and open it.

carefully insert the positive probe on the volt meter into the back of the atx plug, alongside of an orange wire.

put the negative probe into the plug alongside a black wire.

set the volt meter to the 10v dc scale, and turn the computer on.

run it through it's paces, play a game real fast, browse a cd, and the whole time, keep an eye on the meter to watch it for drops.

you might want to shut it back down, and check the 5v and 12v the same way.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

The voltages are vitally important as Walt has told you. Also, maybe even as important are the amperages that are behind the voltages. If you look on the side of your power supply, there will be some numbers listed for each rail. If you could tell us what they say, it might help us to know more about the ability of your power supply to perform what you are asking it to. Unfortunately, some of the less well known power supplies even distort the true amps on these numbers. However, posting them might be a starting point to assess what action might be best for you.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
here is a short tutorial i made about testing atx power supplies.

i would just link you to it, but i don't have it hosted online.

i have zipped it, and it's small, but it's a webpage in a zip.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Power Supply Unit Sticker. says that

Input 115v~8A 60Hz 230v~4.5A 50Hz

Output +5v +12V -5V -12V +3.3V +5VSB
450W 30A 30A 0.5A 0.8A 28A 2A
Max (+5VSB+3.3V Total Output 230W)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status