Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I own an Emachines T6420 desktop, and I recently ordered a new power supply seen here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817170010. It replaced an over year old 300 watt Bestec power supply seen here http://www.affordablesurplus.com/bestec-atx-300-12e-power-supply.asp. After removing my old power supply carefully, and connecting my new power supply, I have not been able to power the computer on. The only activity that I have noticed, light or fan, is the heatsink fan attempting to spin...and stopping before a full spin (I believe). I have checked all the connectors to make sure they were secure, and they are...yet...I have noticed a bit of an issue with the connector that connects to the motherboard, but I'm not sure if it is an actual problem since this is the first power supply I have installed. The new power supply has a 24 pin main connector...yet the motherboard connection area seems to have 4 pins that are not covered by the connector. Another possible issue - the fact that the old power supply had a connector labeled "p8" connected to the cpu...yet it from the specifications I have found, it should be a 4 pin connector to the cpu. Perhaps someone can possibly enlighten me as to the cause of this problem, if not, at least provide some sort of direction. Thank you!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but quite likely you received a bad or DOA power supply. In addition, any power supply worth anything in the 550 watt range is going to cost you around $100, so what you purchased at $19.99 is not worth too much in the way of a power supply. All 550 watt power supplies are certainly not created equally. I would highly suggest that you send this power supply back and purchase something like the Antec 550 trio, or the OCZ 600 watt supply if you want one in that wattage range.

What would actually be best so you know exactly what wattage you need would be to read the power supply information under my signature area, then run the calculator near the end of the information and add the 30% to what you get. That will tell you what the MINIMUM requirements are for your computer in a power supply. Then add some to that figure and select a power supply from the list in that document.

That is my opinion on your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey...thank you for the quick and informative response ;). If it is a faulty power supply...I guess it's better than an issue with the motherboard, although I never really considered that much of possibility either way. I read the thread you mentioned earlier today and it was quite interesting...the wattage calculator gave me 274 watts, which I added 30% and another 100, giving me 456 watts. I guess I was right about the wattage when I bought the new power supply, but the quality was a miss :upset:. I checked out two of the brands you mentioned, Antec and OCZ...and though they are obviously of great quality...I'm not sure I can afford a power supply at that price level currently. Seeing as I am going to need at least 500 watts...do you know of any other brands that are of at least decent midrange quality within the 500 - 600 w range? Thank you again for taking the time to help me with my issue :pray:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh by the way...in your assumption that the power supply is faulty...I assume that you think it is compatible with my system? The motherboard seems to accept the 24 pin main connector even though there are 4 pins on the motherboard that are uncovered by the connector...and I assume the p4 connector is correct for the cpu? It is an amd 64 3400+ cpu...yet the old power supply's cpu connector was labeled p8 strangely (it looked nearly exactly like the new power supply's p4 connector). Thanks again for your assistance!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

The last four pins mean virtually nothing. Most major manufacturer's have a little clip you can leave on or remove to make it a 20 pin connector. With the other pin you mentioned, I would guess it had an adapter on there, because most boards take the four pin. You can tell by looking to see how many pins need covered on the board. If there are 8, then it takes 8, but if there are just 4 (the norm), then 4 will be fine.

You should be fine with a 450 to 500 (550 not really needed for this rig) watt power supply that will save you some. Even a 435 or so might pull your rig, but if you can go 450+, that would be best. I will take a look around and get back later today with a couple suggestions that might work and save you some bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.