Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a new power supply. 250-ATX same as original. PC comes on. Win98 comes up great. Fan on power supply does not come on. I have two leads (?) left. 1 has 6-wires, 3-black, 2-orange & a red. 1 has 4-wires, 2-yellow & 2-black w/more of a square end. I do not see where (if) they should plug in. Any and all help is most appreciated...thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
They shouldn't plug in anywhere, the P/S is defective. Those two connectors are for various motherboards, the square one is for Intel P4 MB's, and the other one I've never used, but I have lots of power supplies that have it hanging out. :D

If the P/S is providing power to the system, the fan should be running, no external connection required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah... and if on the off chance you're working on the inner workings of the PS - STOP NOW and go get a new one... never worth it to muck around inside one of those things.

-Hyde

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Actually, I've replaced dozens of fans in PC power supplies. There really isn't much else you can normally do in there, but the fan is by far the highest failure item. No reason to replace a $35-40 P/S for a $5 fan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

As always folks...thanks for the replies. I removed the new PS and returned it for another. Installed. Works fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.