Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys , i have a question for those of you who are experienced with the power consumption kind of stuff , my computer setup is as follows :
Motherboard : Asus LGA 1366 : P6X58 D-E
Processor : Intel Core i7 960 @ 3,20 GHz
RAM: Twinmose 8gbs @ 1366 or 1066 (not entirely sure )
Graphics Card : Nvdia GTX 470 with 1250mb of DDR5
HardDisk : 1TB (7200RPM)
Powersupply : 80plus everest 800watts
Case : Thermaltake Element S

Now im going to be upgrading my GPU to either
the GTX 590 or the AMD 6990
but my question is
1- is my powersupply good enough to feed one of these cards
2- is it possible that it could hold a pair of 590 in SLi

thanx for reading ,
always appreciating any kind of advice regarding my computer

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
No your psu is crap. Sorry to be blunt but I wouldn't even use an everest to keep my door open.

Your lucky it has n't done you any damage yet.

If your planning on getting any of the cards you have suggested I would suggest you get a good quality make from seasonic or corsair and get a 750w version.
It definetly wont handle Sli your lucky its handling the card you have at the minute.

Sli is totally pointless unless your into scores and **** like that. Sli and crossfire increase performance by 20% if you are lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dunno but everest is powered by the FSP group (which is supposed to be good) anyway , woud you think a 750- 1k watts thermaltake psu is any good for heavy usage ?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I think that would be overkill to put 1000 watts in there. I would give either the Seasonic or Corsair a go with the 750 to 850 watt range being used depending upon how much power you want to have available in the future.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
FSP makes a lot of PSU's for a lot of other retailers of low to medium quality. For reliability and guaranteed quality you can't go wrong with SeaSonic -XFX - Corsair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so say i replace my PSU with a Corsair 800w 80plus certified , does that mean that it would 100% cover the electric values for a GTX 590 GPU ?
i think it goes around 365W average but i wanna be sure because i dont wanna switch the PSU then again end up short on power ...

Also i think i agree because my 2k VA , UPS is also FSP and the fan always sounds like im running on a motor or something , so i guess im gona have to change that sometime soon so thanx for that advice .

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
the corsair will handle it although I would go for 850TX to give you room to breath. The psu is the most important part of your pc. Having a good system and a low quality psu is a bad idea you should always go for a good make. Corsair and seasonic are the best.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I would also want an 850W for that GPU. SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.