Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
200 watt power supply suddenly failed. Pulled the cover, and replaced the fuse. Thats not it. Dusty and dirty, cleaned it up the best I could. I see a resistor that may be burnt. It doesn't smell burnt, though. How can I check this with a multi meter? I look at the thing and know it has to be something simple. Can anybody recomend a site that has a basic electronics tutorial? Or the techniques on checking
basic PCB's. I will go out and get a new one, but it will be a week before I can get into town.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First off, switching power supplies can retain a charge on the electrolytic caps for days, so I'd be real careful in there. :)

In point of fact, the supply failing can be almost anything, a switching power supply has a fair number of components, and they're all there for a reason. :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You can pick up an ATX power supply tester at any decent computer shop or the big guys such as CompUSA. If it's bad, I wouldn't bother with PSU components, unless you know what you're doing ...

As Johnwill is implying - inside a power supply is a place to ... "fear to tread".

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I always have a couple of ATX spares around, because I find that substitution for computer parts is the only reliable way to know that a component is good or bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.