Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PC specs as best i can remember them:
CPU: intel dual core 2.66GHz (clocked @ 2.66 as normal)
gfx: geforce 8800GT
gigabyte audioLAN motherboard summat or other :grin:
2gb DDR2 crucial RAM (dont remember the bus speed)
450W PSU which came with my case (im worried about this)

problem:
PC has been working fine for a few months, surprising for my first build, but i came into my room and switched it on, started up a game after about 15 minutes and then the power immediately cut out. PC auto-rebooted itself, but before it even got to the OS the power cut out again. it does the indefinately by my guess.

i turned off all other sockets in my room, checked my PC cables and left it overnight then tried it again. next day it worked for a few hours as normal, then had the same power problem with the reboots.

took a look in BIOS while it was working, and there was no problems with CPU temp or case temp, and the voltage settings were rated as "OK"
i enabled the fan alarms and rebooted. both alarms sounded when immediately, however the fans are working.

my PC does need a clean, which i will get round to tomorrow when i can get some stuff to clean it with, althought im not sure if that is the problem - any ideas? im thinking my PSU needs to be upgraded.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've been using MBM to try and read some info on my motherboard, although my model wasnt in the options when installing so i just chose a random one by the same manufacturer, hence the results may not be accurate
however, the voltage on +12v is worryingly low. it was about 3.3 yesterday and today 1.79 - is this normal?

+3.3v = 3.36
+5v = 5.05v
-12v = 0.00 (i guess it isnt able to measure)
same for -5v

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Check the voltages in the Bios for an accurate reading.
Almost EVERY PSU that is included with the case is NOT good quality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i will buy a new PSU, just wanted to make sure there werent any other issues

how do i check voltage in BIOS? all i could find was a thing that said certain voltages were "OK" (i.e. "+12v OK")

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
With some motherboards that is all you get OK, Low or High.
It's a baseline in the Bios because it's not under load,, when Windows loads the Video driver and the HD is spinning you'll get a lower reading then when Idle in the Bios.

You can check with a digital volt meter but it sounds like a power issue to me as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.