Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently built my first computer. I finished putting all the parts together after months of research into compatibility and proper installation. (I used a grounding wrist strap during the entire installation, and was careful to touch as little of the PCB as possible with all parts.) And now, when I start to power it up, it stays on for perhaps 15 seconds, before it just shuts off. I thought this meant the powersupply was bad, so I removed it and took it to a retailer (different from who I had bought it from) and they tested it and gave me a thumbs up. What gives? It's a 500W Thermaltake powersupply and I have 1 CD-ROM 8x, 1 80GB HDD, a Geforce 6800 GT, and about 5 case fans hooked up to it.... so I don't think it's a lack of power issue...

I would really appreciate any help. =\

Furthermore, attempts to take it to repair shops around here result in, "Custom build? I dont' have the time to look over every part like that..." I understand where they are coming from, but I don't want to think I just spent ~1400 dollars and flushed it down the toilet.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Pop out the board and try booting it on a non-metal surface. If it works then you have a grounding short in your case. When you put it back in, make sure your standoffs allow ample room between the board and the plate it's mounted on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.