Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my other computer i switched my harddrive (master)and when i turn it on no power gets to the drive but when i remove the ribbon (not the power supply) the harddrive starts. The computer screen says "no signal dectected" then goes into standby. When it is like this i try to open my cd rom drive and it doesnt open but when i remove the ribbon and open it, it opens. Could the ribbons be stopping the power? Could my motherboard have a problem recieving from them and not supply power?

Please help and thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you say "switched the drive" do you mean you switched its position in the computer or switched it with a new/different drive? If you switched its position in the computer, is it still attached to an 80 pin ribbon as opposed to a 40?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok what i did was i had 2 harddrives in my comp and one was useless (slave) so i took it out and at first it didnt work so i put it back in the way it was and it still didnt work so i just used the master in and used all the ribbons and they all did the same, didnt let the harddrive get power untill i took the ribbon out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Try a new ribbon? You may have messed up a connector aimlessly jockying cables around.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its about a year and a half old, I used a ribbon from this computer and it didnt effect anything, and the harddrives pins are fine

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Try it with a new cable on the other IDE channel. It may be a bad connector on the board or partially damaged IDE controller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.