Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Well after attempting to solve the problem myself I have failed and decided to get some professional advice :)
I am trying to help fix my parents computer, and here is the problem I am having. For a few weeks the computer would start fine, but after a couple hours would all of a sudden turn off and this continued until the other day when they complained that would not even power up. So I assumed it was a bad PS and decided to pick up a new one on the way home today. After installing the new 350W ATX PS and making sure all connections were secure I pushed the power button and all it did was the green power light stayed on for <1sec and a noticed that the PS fan went on for <1sec and then off.
I am doubting that it is another bad power supply, and have no real idea what else it could be. If anyone has had the same problem or has an idea that might help me fix it I would really appreciate any posts. PLEASE HELP, my parents need this computer working as they both have classes to prepare.
Also, any chance it could be bad RAM, or would it at least start to load and then fail?
Thanks,
RV

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
heres the bad new...if a fan died and the system over heated more damage ...damage that cant be seen was probley done....the fact that the system was shutting off is a BAD thing...the price of trouble shotting it might not be worth a new system....if it is that important....

do you have a spare system or another one to work with...P/S are pretty universal these days so try it in another system...that will answer the P/S question...and if it works...remove all cards except the video card...remove and reseat that one...the same goes for the memory...then plug in the basics...if it starts you have a bad device that is out side the system...troubleshoot it by putting pecies one by one back in till the problem recreates it self...if it doesnt then you had a loose connection somewhere....if it does replace that part...

If it doesnt then you have to wrok on replaceing the other part that are in there already...the CPU the motherboard...this is whereit getts expensive...you then decide if mabey you might want ot put the old drive in a new system...

good luck

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
What you're describing sounds like either the +5 isn't connected to anything, or one of the outputs has a short. THe P/S will start for a moment, then shutdown for an over-current if an output is shorted. Switching power supplies need a load, so if the +5 is unloaded, the supply also won't start.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I agree double check that the new supply is correctly connected, if it is ... it is either a ground to case problem or the mobo might be shot.

If it was shutting down all by itself that is really not a good sign ... I would bet that if the power supply is connected correctly that your dealing with a fried mobo, sounds just like what happened to me some time back.

And to answer your one question about ram: No bad ram will never cause this issue your system would still power up, even with no ram it would still power up it would just beep and not post... but it would not shutdown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I guess I will check all the connections again. But I'm not sure what the +5 is?? Thanks for all the help guys, I will check you updated.
Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.