Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to post this question..

Apparently I fell asleep in front of my computer around 1 am (<.<) and when I woke up around 3 or 4 am, the power was out. I turned off the switch on my psu and just went to bed.

I just got up now and saw the electricity was back, so I turned on my PC. It said windows was not shut down properly, so I just went about starting Windows normally and didn't receive any errors afterwards. I restarted it a couple times, then powered down completely, turned off the switch again, and then discharged the motherboard's capacitors.

My question, I know power outages can be pretty damaging. Do you have a checklist of things I should check for, in terms of damages?

When I fell asleep in front of the comp, the only program running on the computer was an instant messaging app, so I'm pretty sure the HDD should be fine, but I will be running Drive Fitness Test/Western Digital Lifeguard, but I'd really like to know if I should run any other tests or procedures to see if any component (from the psu to the cpu) was damaged in any way.

Any tips are appreciated

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Power outages generally aren't a concern unless there are caused by severe weather.
If everything is working properly it is likely there was no damage.
Good quality PSU's will rarely damage other hardware when they are damaged by power issues.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the mobo's a m3n78 pro (its a little old, but I do plan to build a new pc by around january), processor's amd 7750 (be). the gpu is a 9500gt (since I don't really play that many games) the psu is a Thermaltake Toughpower 850. Ram's a 4gb set from g.skill.

the pc was pretty much idle, aside from the instant messaging app, when the power outage happened in my neighborhood and I don't believe it was caused by weather. there's construction going on outside, so I just assumed someone hit the wrong power line by accident.

I was more concerned about the power supply. The original Thermaltake Toughpower 850 I had was defective, making a high speed clicking noise. It started making that noise when I had hit a wall switch, and then immediately flipped the switch on - so in effect the original psu experienced unusual circumstances. Thermaltake did gave me a replacement, which is what I'm using now. I'm just worried that the power outage may have done the same thing on this replacement unit, but on the plus side its on a more "recent" surge protector power strip (compared to the last time when the original unit was connected to some cheap 7+ year old power strip).

What do you think?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If everything is working properly I wouldn't be concerned. The Tough Power Series are generally good PSU's.

·
Registered Member
2,460 Posts
Here in SA we often had power cuts, because our electricity supplier (Eskom) is s**t. I've never had any issues when the power goes out. The only time I had issues was with bad weather, when it blew my internal dial-up modem. I've already had about 4 getting damaged by the weather but no damage to the pc. So if everything works you'll be fine. The error you get I normally ignore, cause everything still works.

How did you discharge the capacitors?
Is this necessary?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always been told to discharge my capacitors when I'm working in any unit. I'm not sure its necessary but I like to stay on the side of caution q;

I was told to switch the PSU off, then hold the power button down for 30 secs - apparently that discharges the capacitors?

It'd be great to find out from a moderator if this discharging thing is actually necessary 0,0

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I've never done it but it doesn't take long and it can't hurt. :grin:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh & since this post, I actually bought a Corsair 750TX under your recommendation q; but I must have bad luck because things didn't go so well.. I posted it in another post..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.