Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having problem with a "Intel Desktop Board D845WN" motherboard. 1.5GHz P4 (pin-423).

I have been using this board for about 5 years, not much problem occured and I considered it a very good motherboard. Last week I was away from home, my pc was left at home, with the power socket power switched on, as my housemates are using the switches, but the pc was never switched on. When I came back home and tried to switched on the pc, the power on failed. Nothing has been changed in the pc. Other peripherals connected to the same power socket still operate as normal. Below are the few symptoms that I have observed, with drives removed, and fans connected to PSU as loads:

1. When the power socket is switched on, with the ATX power and 2x2-pin 12V connector plugged into the board, the green light(power OK light?) on the board does light on, there's also light on the network card.

2. When the power switch connected to the board is pressed, a very small movement is observed on the fans of the casings and the power supply, but nothing happened after that. The green light on the board is still on.

3. If the 2x2-pin 12v connector is unplugged from the board and the power switch is pressed, the fans on the casing and power supply started to turn and operated as normal, but the processor fan and fans that are connected to the board won't run, there's no sign of life, however heat was observed on the graphic card and tv-tuner card. The system has to be switched of by turning off the main power socket.

4. Tried isolate the problem by removing all add-in cards, drives and memory modules, but the cpu fan still doesn't run, which means the board is not running? Tried using another PSU, but problem remained.

I consulted and followed instructions described in "The Troubleshooting for the IA Platform guide " from Intel's support site, but none worked. Then, I consulted "Troubleshooting with a multimeter " guide. All steps gave correct voltage signal, except one. With PS_On at ~0v, Pin8(Power_ok) is ~0v with 2x2 12v connector plugged in, but ~5v without the 2x2 12v connector unplugged.

So, I'm wondering, is it the board/ processor burnt? Or maybe there is large volume of electrostatic charges stored on the board, preventing power on? How do I discharge the board completely? I tried connecting it to the power socket(switched off) to ground it, for a night, but that didn't work.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf

I consulted and followed instructions described in "The Troubleshooting for the IA Platform guide " from Intel's support site, but none worked. Then, I consulted "Troubleshooting with a multimeter " guide. All steps gave correct voltage signal, except one. With PS_On at ~0v, Pin8(Power_ok) is ~0v with 2x2 12v connector plugged in, but ~5v without the 2x2 12v connector unplugged.
where did you get the replacement power supply?

post back

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The replacement PSU is borrowed from my friend. He bought a new one with greater power capacity. The borrowed PSU is working fine before he changed. But my board still wont boot up with the borrowed PSU.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.