Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)
I usually pay my power bills online through the PC. But today, I can access their site, log in to my account and see I owe them a certain amount of money. However, when I click "pay" and is led to the payments page where I have to choose the net banking option and the bank's name and then click on 'pay now'. I can choose the bank, but clicking on 'pay now' doesn't work. I mean, I click the 'pay now' button and the page just sits there. The 'pay now' button itself becomes greyed out, so the click has registered but the page does absolutely nothing. It just sits there as if I had not clicked the button. I asked my nephew to try it in his PC and the page does work as intended and moves on to the bank login page. I tried a different ISP by USB tethering my phone, and this same problem recurs. I finally did pay by using my phone and its net to login to the power company website and the pay now button worked okay. So it must be something wrong with my PC right? I tried different ISPs, different browsers. I had some updates done this week- Window 10 update, K-lite Codec update, firefox update etc. And I could do net banking in Amazon with the same bank I used for power company. Could someone kindly help? What could possibly be wrong with my PC? Please help.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,607 Posts
Time to call the bank. You can't be the only one with the problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SpywareDr: I did try firefox, Chrome and Edge sir
Corday: I just for the heck of it, tried choosing other banks and clicking the 'pay now' button, they don't work either.
And as I said, my nephew can do it from his PC, I can do it through my phone, it is just my PC which has the problem :(
Could it be one of the updates?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,854 Posts
Rather doubtful but you never know.

Microsoft.com > Recovery options in Windows 10 > Restore from a system restore point

Restore from a system restore point

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app or driver, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.
  1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then choose it from the list of results

2. In the Control Panel search box, type recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore.

4. In the Restore system files and setting box, select Next.

5. Select the restore point that you want to use in the list of results, and then select Scan for affected programs.

Notes

• If you don’t see the restore point that you want to use, select the Show more restore points check box to see more restore points.

• If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. Here’s how to check:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then choose it from the list of results.

2. In the Control Panel search box, type recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and see if the Turn on system protection option is selected.

• If the Turn on system protection option is not selected, system protection isn’t turned on and there aren't any restore points. In this scenario, you won't be able to recovery your PC using a system restore point and will need to use one of the other recovery options listed on this page.

• If the Turn on system protection option is selected, continue with step 6.

6. You'll see a list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Close> Next > Finish.

·
Premium Member
19,848 Posts
you can try going to safemode with network to see if you can pay. this will determine whether or not some third party is causing the problem. any chance the bank info you have stored at the power company payment site is out of date?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If every other website is working fine it's safe to assume it's your power company's website that is the problem and not your PC - give them a call and see.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone, for your kind replies. I tried to restore to an earlier restore point but it took so much time and my power failed in between, and messed up my windows so I had to install Windows 10 again and lost all my programs, but I just installed firefox and tried the power company site and the 'pay now' button actually works now on my PC. I do not know what the problem was, but it is rectified now. Thank you so much, everyone, for your input and attempting to help me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem was probably in the cache. For future reference press F5 next time you have issues with a website. F5 will force the cache to clear.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,854 Posts
Yeppirs. Pressing [Ctrl][F5] bypasses the cache. Here's a brief description from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia.org > Bypass your cache
To speed things up and conserve communications bandwidth, browsers attempt to keep local copies of pages, images, and other content you've visited, so that it need not be downloaded again later. Occasionally this caching scheme goes awry (e.g. the browser insists on showing out-of-date content) making it necessary to bypass the cache, thus forcing your browser to re-download a web page's complete, up-to-date content. This is sometimes referred to as a "hard refresh", "cache refresh", or "uncached reload". The rest of your cache is not affected.
In most Windows and Linux browsers:
Hold down [Ctrl] and press [F5].

In Apple Safari:
Hold down [Shift] and click the Reload toolbar button.

In Chrome and Firefox for Mac:
Hold down both [Cmd]+[Shift] and press [R].

·
452 Posts
Mind you it does refresh any actual updates of the website you're visiting. I use F5 a lot for my work to sync with google driver or MS teamsites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.