Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my problem has gone from bad to worse. I was having problems with games and occasionally windows locking up. I took my comp all the way apart and put it back together looking for bad connections or loose wires or something. Now it just sits at the post screen of the motherboard with no hard drive activity. I tried reseting the BIOS by taking the battery out of the motherboard for a few seconds, did nothing. It says hit Delete to enter setup but since my wireless keyboard is USB i can't use it untill it is reaccuired by windows. AARRRGGHH!! Getting close to spending the dough(which i don't really have) to go to a computer place.

Asus A8N-SLI
Athlon X2 4600+
1 GB PC 3200
Nvidia 6800GT x2 in SLI
Creative X-Fi Fatality Soundcard
Enermax 535W PSU

voltages and temps were running in the green at idle before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, your computer sits at the post screen with a hard drive installed but is or isn't being seen?

Try to get a PS2 plug keyboard, does it freeze on any paticular part or just randomly? and maybe an upgrade of your psu if possible.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
To fully clear or reset the cmos setting you need to remove the cmos battery and disconnect the power cable to the motherboard for about 5 minutes, reconnect the power cable and place the battery back and boot the system.

Also, double check the connections again, you may have overlooked something

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Any joy yet?

Did you remove the drive cables? If so, make sure they are the right way around - colour coded end into main board.

Have you removed any drives? If so, check the jumpering – also, configure with master drive on end of the cable, with any slaves on the middle. If a hardrive and an optical are on the same cable, the hardrive needs to be master.

Did you discharge your residual static before handling the components?

I would suggest running the drive diagnostic utility, just to check that the drive is OK and that the configuration is correct.

If none of the above helps, try starting with just one RAM module in place.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Since you're already using 2 GPU's in SLI, I would've considered making the move to get a 1GW PSU. Reason I say that is you're probably looking forward to getting 4 GPU's in SLI.

Regards,

Brandon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.