Tech Support banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41,102 Posts
Yes, if you signed in with an Email address previously, that is your Microsoft Account, your Product ID is on the Microsoft Servers once you log in with that account it will automatically activate Windows on the machine you logged into..

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have logged in with that account and it still says my key is invalid :( I clicked on the 'troubleshoot' link below the activation option and it says "we can't activate your copy of Windows, make sure you are connected to the internet and try again. If you are connected to the internet and continue seeing the problem, contact your sys admin for more info". I am connected to the net and I can perform browsing, downloading, etc so I guess my product key is the problem sir.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well sir, today I got the Win 10 package and it did have a product key (Phew!) and the key worked! It also has a USB drive in it and a little booklet and it was all packed in a seemingly professional way, shrink wrapping and all. Anyhow, my Windows 10 Pro is now activated, thank goodness. Thank you sir, for posting in the thread and your advice regarding everything. Thank you to everyone who posted and replied to my questions, I am indebted to you all.

·
Registered
41,102 Posts
Good to hear, now press the Windows key+R and type winver and press enter. This will tell you what version of Windows 10 you have.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did that sir and it says "Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1237)" Below that it goes on about Win 10 Pro being trademarked and such, and still below that it says the product is licensed to my email address. I hope mine is the latest version.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,291 Posts
Now run Windows Update. There will be quite a few.

Reactions: buccaneer

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh I had updated the OS even before activating sir, and I just hit the 'check for updates' button and it says 'you are up to date'

·
27,291 Posts
I have to go now but you're way behind on Updates . Hopefully someone will chime in.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh okay sir. I didn't know I was supposed to run the update from the Download Windows page. I clicked on update now and it prompted me to download a windows update assistant. I am running it now and it is updating, slowly. Am I supposed to keep the assistant after the current updation and run it periodically? Sorry for being so clueless sir.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well the updates are done, now when I run winver command it says version: 20H2, OS Build 19042.630. Well sir, do I now delete/uninstall Windows update assistant?

·
27,291 Posts
Just leave it.

Reactions: buccaneer

·
Registered
41,102 Posts
As stated, you are up to date to the latest version of Windows 10. You can leave the Assistant, it will do no harm and not take up any space and in another 6 months when there is another major upgrade, If Windows Update does not give you the upgrade, the Assistant will.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts