Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My computer is acting very strange as of today - when I turn it on, it displays the desktop only briefly and then goes to a windows screen that shows my name as a user profile and asks me to select a user profile.

When I select my user profile, the message "logging in" shows up and then almost immediately it displays the message "logging off". I tried to log in using the "Alt" + "Ctrl" + "Delete" function, which then gives me an option of inputting a password. Problem is, I never set up a user profile or gave myself a password.

Here's what I've tried:
- resetting lost password by accessing the pin jumper inside computer
(this now allows me to bypass the password request but I still can't access the desktop)
- tried to run computer in Safe mode to get Admin rights
(no go - still can't access desktop at all - computer shows choice of Admin profile but when I select Admin it then gives same "logging in/logging off" message)

I did some research online using a friend's computer and it sounds like a Trojan virus. I found some a Trojan remover fix at PC World, but since I can't access the desktop/internet/Start menu I'm not sure how to run it.

System is Windows XP.

I've been using Symantec anti-security & the Spybot malware removal program.

Any ideas? Is there any way to fix it or should I give up and reinstall? And if I reinstall, will that wipe the virus completely?

Robin

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.