Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm at a complete loss, and I have no idea what to do. I have two friends who I play games with almost every day. We used to LAN, but one of them moved, so now we do it over the Internet. But, we've discovered that when all three of us play, there's a terrible and inexplicable lag. When only 2 of us play, any 2 of us, it works fine. But the second the third person joins, the lag is terrible, and the game totally unplayable.

This happened most recently with Quake 4, and at first I thought it would be an issue with Quake, but it's not. It started happening with Starcraft, and that's where I know something is wrong, because come on...it's Starcraft.

We all built our own computers, and they're pretty much top of the line, except for of course the most recent stuff (within the last few months). There's no problem with our CPU hardware. I tried changing my IP address since it was similar to one of my friend's, but it didn't change anything.

I'm running an Adelphia cable connection through a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, one friend is also running Adelphia cable, but through a D-Link (not sure on the model) wireless router, and my other friend is running through a Comcast cable connection, but with a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router.

Is it the routers that are causing this problem? I can think of a million reasons why this would happen, but now why it would only happen with 3 of us and not just 2. So if someone can shed some or any light, I will forever be in their debt. Thanks for listening.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.