Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen anything like this. I can't run a disc check or defrag. Everytime I start my computer windows explorer window pops up with a message saying that windows explorer has encountered a problem... If I try system restore the same message from restore pops up. system restore has encountered a problem... I cant delete any programs in add/remove programs it says windows installer cant be accessed or not installed correctly. I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter. I have Windows XP Home Version SP3 installed. I have CA installed for anti-virus. It is provided by Mediacom as part of their internet service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that didnt work because even in safe mode the windows explorer window popped up. In fact after the full scan of malware.org in safe networking I rebooted and lost my firewall in CA Security Center. Is that the only option I have?

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi, open a command prompt and at the prompt type chkdsk /r press enter if prompted that the volume is in use say yes (Y) to run at boot. Restart computer let chkdsk run can take quite awhile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I did the command prompt and rebooted and it acted like it wanted to do it. I saw the screen for dskck and then the screen went blank and I had to shut it down manually with the power button and restarted it again and then the screen for the dskck went on again and then went off and then windows started up, my desktop was blank and so was the taskbar for a moment then they blinked and came on and sure enough the windows explorer window came up with the message (windows explorer encountered a prob...) I put that message window off to the side and tried dskck checked the 2 boxes and it said windows was unable to complete dskck. I came on here with the explorer message off to the side. Can anyone please help me overcome this. I would really hate to get rid of this computer. I will give you my name and addy to pay to have this fixed coreectly. Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
Reboot windows, minimize the error or shove it out the way.
Go to control panel, users and create a new user with admin rights.

Log out of your current user and log into the new account you created. This will have default ms settings, and if youre lucky will possibly worl ok. Something has corrupted, caused the error on your current user setting, it may have transferred to the newly created user, time will tell.
H

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. This is soooo frustrating. Thanks Hal for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I also forgot to mention that the windows explorer message asks me to send error report or don't I have done both numerous times and of course nothing changes. I am open to any suggestions to remedy this problem, if anyone needs more information about this please let me know and I will send it. I have grandbaby pictures on here and other items too precious too lose. However, if it's unrepairable theres nothing I can do. I would be sooo grateful if anyone could help me on this. J

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
Do you have an alternate computer? Can you download and install the foirefox browser?
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

This may give you back internet access but will not stop the error appearing.
I just read your first post again.
Login to the new account you created.
Go to start run type
services.msc

Scroll down the list of services until you see windows installer service. Right click it and choose start (if already started, click stop then start) to start the msi service.

You may now be able to uninstall programs , or perhaps get onto the internet with firefox to download a ms update.
Have you got IE8 or IE7 ? If IE8 try uninstalling and revert to IE7, see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Boot up pc into safemode F8,
start
run
type
cmd
in command prompt
type
chkdsk /r
error cannot lock drive
Would you like to run checkdisk on next reboot?
type: Y
press enter
Reboot the pc, so chkdsk can run please.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the boot in safe mode and it said dskck not available. I believe this is a windows explorer problem. I can't defrag, system restore, or Windows update. My taskbar turns white after windows explorer error window pops up. My CA anti-virus is constantly trying to update and fails because it encounters errors. Is there anything else I could try? I would greatly appreciate any solution to this. Thank You.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I uninstalled IE 8 and installed IE 7 and lost all my toolbars. Yes, thank you I can now uninstall programs. I do have firefox installed already. thx very much for the tip on how to fix the uninstall program problem. However firefox still doesnt allow me to Windows Update.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
It depends how much you have to save? cd = 700 MB, DVD = 4.7GB

Go here and read this article on how to:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_burn_something_to_cd.html

This shouldnt erase any files off your harddrive but for a precaution
backup your data to a cd or dvd.
After backup is complete of your data,

1. Boot up from xp disc and enter recovery console when it gives you the option by
pressing R.

2. Next, you'll see a prompt to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP
installation that you need to repair. Enter "1" and then supply your Administrator password.

3. In recovery console type: chkdsk /r

Definition - Scans your hard drive and attempts to repair any problems found.

DO this please and let me know if it found any problems and fixed them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.