Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently built my first P4 system (all others have been AMD).

I bought a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP board, P4 3 gig 800mhz fsb, 2 512 kingston HyperX pc 3200 ram chips. ati 9600 pro, 430W Enermax power supply, Western Digital ata 100 60 gig HD, Lite-on CD-RW.

I bought the board because I wanted to eventually do serial ATA and raid.

Anyways, I set it up, ran memtest86 and it completed without error. I installed windows XP with hyperthreading enabled in bios. Windows installed fine.

Now here's the issue. I ran 3dmark 2003 and 2001 without issue, pluged in my case fans, put my case side on. Installed norton IS, and now at random my computer will short beep 3 - 5 times someitmes once, sometimes over and over. When this happens it sounds like my cpu fan drops slower for a second. This still happens even after I unhooked all my case fans. Also the system randomly restarts (although very rarly, and I think I need to change a windows XP setting to stop this and see the error). I am trying to figure out if this is a cpu, mb, ram, or power issue. Any suggestions?

*edit* also I have CPU fan control enabled in bios as well as CPU fan monitoring.*

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
there should be some sort of monitoring program that can give you live views of whats going on ....

Get a bigger power supply...you cant have to much watage....bad power is the culprit in more problems then one would think....this time bigger is better

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it out (I think) Its actually an issue with CPU temp and fan speed. I called intel and they informed me that my Motherboard has issues with the fan speed monitoring being set to high. When my computer was not doing anything (and thus why I didn't have these issue's with 3dmark) the fan speed drops to 2000rpm. The system flips out at 2500 rpms. I uped the threshold and we are all ok now. Still not sure on the random reboots, I think that might be my ram timmings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is finally stable. After making changes in the bios and turing off fan speed monitoring as well as setting the ram timings instead of using spd. I was finally able to install XP without BSD's and it has run stable in games and apps for 14 hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beeps return

Guy's - I saw your thread and latched on - I have built a similar system and suffer from an infernal intermittant beep.

GA-8KNXP board
1GB Corsair 400DDR mem
3.06 GB 800 P4
3 Raptors in SATA Raid
Audigy Pro
R 9800 Pro
2003.NET Server

I suspect the beep has been several things, in the start the machine truely flipped out and I thought it was the bios as the beeps never stopped.

But after seeing your post, I have disabled in Bios;
CPU Fan Monitoring
Games port

Now my beep only returns during games when I suspect the graphics are ing full whack and I beleive it may be an IRQ clash, have you had any further beeps or have any ideas?

Kind Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not had anymore problems sense making those changes. I have heard of a lot of people having great success with the version 6a bios, but that is a beta bios and you have to contact gigabyte support for the bios.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.