Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently, I received a lot of possible port scan message in my firewall logs. Basically it is saying that the firewall detect a possible port scan on my IP from xx.xxx.xxx.xx ip adress.
Is anyone by any chance know how to prevent this?
I don't want to see other people keep scanning my port. Please advice.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Unplug the wire to the Internet. :D

Seriously, the reason you need a firewall is because of the idiots on the other side of the firewall! If there were never port scans, and worms, viruses, and spyware, we wouldn't need a firewall. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hello pusingamat :D
Like Johnwill said, unless you unplug, you're likely to get possible scan notifications from your AV/firewall, whatever you have....I get them all the time. You can compare it to people knocking on your door...you can ignore it and keep watching TV...or you can open the door and see what kind of nut you get on the other side...or look trough the peephole to see if its a pesky salesman, your friendly neighboor, or a hot blonde delivering a mushroom / pepperoni deep dish pizza....

·
Registered
49 Posts
OH reallY!

A reason for the outburst in these scans could be because of the new MSBlast virus. This is exactly what the virus does: Scans IP's and mounts the virus. To prevent the port scanning? Get a router, this will ultimately give you an invisible ip to the outside world, or keep the firewall tracking and make sure you monitor your rules. You don't want to block anything imortant.

Most routers these days come with firewalls pre-config'd, you would just have to allow personal important ports.

Good Luck.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

well, i have worked with a few dozen different routers, and they all seem to work perfectly fine without making any changes, i think that the average home user doesnt need any specific ports open, unless they want to play some certain high end games online...

i can use all of my internet stuff all through the same single open port. and i also get my share of "knocks at the door"
even with only a single port open.

but i can run anything,
except mechwarrior3

i have to use a virtual dmz server cos mech3 requires 300+ ports.

and i am assuming mech4 does also...

so, unless they want to do odd stuff, then they shouldnt have to make any changes to their routers firewall. and unless the internet has started playing by the rules in the last three hours (the time its been since i saw a login attemp) then the router wont stop much.

~BoB~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.