Discussion Starter #1
I have the following components plugged into my computer:

Mobo: Intel D955X BX
Processor: Intel Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition
Video card: NVidia Geforce 7800 GT
RAM: 2x Crucial 1GB, DDR2, 533
Floppy drive
IDE Hard drive

When I connect the 400W PSU I see a green light on the motherboard. When I hit the power button fans start spinning and no beeps can be heard but no picture is output to the monitor.

Where do I start with troubleshooting?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joe,

Is that 400W PSU new? Also, when did failure occur? How long have you been using this system?
This is not a new PSU, However, I've been using the PSU very recently with an older mobo.

The mobo and processor are from eBay & so I've yet to successfully see output directed to the monitor, hence my desire to troubleshoot & determine if only one item is bad or both are bad.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,076 Posts
This is not a new PSU, However, I've been using the PSU very recently with an older mobo.

The mobo and processor are from eBay & so I've yet to successfully see output directed to the monitor, hence my desire to troubleshoot & determine if only one item is bad or both are bad.
Since this is a new setup are you working on the bench or do you have the board installed in a case?

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,076 Posts

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
So you are getting power. But no vid post. Ok. How long did you have the 7800GT? What is your older mobo?, and if you can, try another video card on the new mobo. List the model/brand of the PSU if you can.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Info for that Mobo is sketchy but what I find shows that Mobo requires ECC RAM. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.
The Mobo LED only indicates the Mobo is receiving power but does not conclude the PSU can boot the PC.
450W is the minimum for a 7800GT so that's a very possible issue.
Booting with no RAM and even bench testing would still be advised.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running the computer on a bench now & just tried with only power connected and I switched the graphics card to a low profile one which doesn't need extra power connectors. I think it's an nVidia 9800...
I've removed the RAM chips but there's no beep...
I'll be a little upset if the mobo is doomed, but I'll be REALLY upset if the CPU is gone!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.