Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was advised to post here.

My problem is as follows. One month ago I bought a brand new laptop, Lenovo Legion 5 15IMH05 with Windows 10 pre-installed. A couple of days later I began seeing "dead zones" on my keyboard. It started with the left shift key, the computer would not register it if I pressed the key just above the centre. 30 days later the problem spread to my S key; the key has deadzones all over it, I have to press it dead in the centre for the laptop to register it.

I had the same problem with my previous laptop, the Lenovo Y50-70, where my Caps Lock, TAB, Q, W, E, and F3 keys died completely. I transferred some data over to my new laptop.

I scanned the computer with the Windows built-in scanned and Malwarebytes Anti-malware Premium version, nothing was found.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,047 Posts
Doesn't particularly sound like a problem typically caused by Malware, however it's probably best if we take a look at what's running on your machine before we come to any premature conclusions.

So please do the following and let's see if that gives us any clues ....

• If you have a 32 bit system Download FRST to your Desktop.
  • If you have a 64 bit system Download FRST64 to your Desktop.
  • If you don't know whether your system is 32 bit or 64 bit, download both. Only one will run on your machine. That's the one to use.
  • Double click Frst.exe to launch it.
  • FRST will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press the Scan button.
    • When finished scanning 2 logs will open on your Desktop, FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    • Please post them in your next reply.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't particularly sound like a problem typically caused by Malware, however it's probably best if we take a look at what's running on your machine before we come to any premature conclusions.

So please do the following and let's see if that gives us any clues ....

• If you have a 32 bit system Download FRST to your Desktop.
  • If you have a 64 bit system Download FRST64 to your Desktop.
  • If you don't know whether your system is 32 bit or 64 bit, download both. Only one will run on your machine. That's the one to use.
  • Double click Frst.exe to launch it.
  • FRSTwill start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press the Scan button.
    • When finished scanning 2 logs will open on your Desktop, FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    • Please post them in your next reply.
Thank you for your help. I don't think is a malware issue either, but how else can I explain two laptop keyboards failing at roughly the same time + buttons on the new external USB keyboard as well?

Here are the requested files.

Attachments

·
1,047 Posts
I don't see the FRST.txt log, you have only attached Addition.txt

Please post the FRST.txt log as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know why but I can't for some reason. Whenever I try to attach it, the forum just makes a strikethrough.

·
1,047 Posts
OK, if you can't attach it, then try zipping it and see if it will attach then.

If not, then just copy/paste it into your next reply.

The latest version of FRST whitelists a lot of stuff, so the FRST.txt log is nowhere near as long as it used to be, so with luck it won't exceed the forum post size limit.

·
1,047 Posts
OK, looking over your logs now. Dependent on how many entries I need to research, this may take some time.

Back as soon as I'm finished.

·
1,047 Posts
No obvious signs of an active infection in your logs, however there are a few things I'd like to investigate a little further ....

First .... Did you install TeamViewer on your computer ?

Team Viewer is a perfectly legal remote access program, and if you installed it yourself then no problem, however it can be installed by attackers wishing to have remote access to your machine, so I need to know that you were the one to install it.

Next ....

There's a few files I'd like to scan at VirusTotal ....

So ....

• Start FRST in a similar manner to when you ran a scan earlier, but this time when it opens ....
  • Press Ctrl+y (Ctrl and y keys at the same time)
  • A blank randomly named .txt Notepad file will open.
  • Copy and paste the following into it (don't include Code: ) ....
Code:
VirusTotal:C:\Program Files\OpenVPN Connect\agent_ovpnconnect_1603802913401.exe;C:\Program Files\OpenVPN Connect\ovpnhelper_service.exe;D:\memoQ\MemoQ.AutoUpdate.exe;C:\Users\Blaz\AppData\Local\Temp\ALSysIO64.sys

EmptyTemp:
  • Press Ctrl+s to save fixlist.txt
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user. Running it on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
  • Now press the Fix button once and wait.
  • FRST will process fixlist.txt
  • When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt in the same folder/directory as FRST64.exe
  • Please post me the log

·
1,047 Posts
OK looks like they're all clean. There were a couple of generic detections by a couple of fairly minor scans, but nothing that would lead me to think that they were anything but false positives.

So, next thing to do is run an online scan to see whether there's anything that didn't show up in the FRST scans. This scan can take an hour or so to complete, but it's very thorough.

Download ESET Online Scanner and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click on esetonlinescanner_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • When the tool opens, click Get Started.
  • Read and accept the license agreement.
  • At the Welcome to ESET Online Scanner window, click Get Started.
  • Select whether you would like to send anonymous data to ESET.
  • Note: if you see the "Welcome Back to ESET Online Scanner" screen, click Computer Scan > Full Scan.
  • Click on the Full Scan option.
  • Select Enable ESET to detect and remove potentially unwanted applications, then click Start scan.
  • ESET will now begin scanning your computer. This may take some time.
  • When the scan is finished and if threats have been detected, select Save scan log. Save it to your desktop as eset.txt. Click on Continue.
  • ESET Online Scanner may ask if you'd like to turn on the Periodic Scan feature. Click on Continue.
  • On the next screen, you can leave feedback about the program if you wish. Check the box for Delete application data on closing. If you left feedback, click Submit and continue. If not, Close without feedback.
  • Open the scan log on your desktop (eset.txt) and copy and paste its contents into your next reply.

·
1,047 Posts
As I expected would happen, your e-set scan came back clean. So since I've seen nothing so far to suggest that you've got Malware on your machine, I'd say it's a pretty good indication that your machine is clean of infection, and that something else is causing your problem.

The question now is what that is.

From your description in your first post, it sounds like a mechanical problem, most likely caused by dirty contacts on the keys that are giving problems.

Could also be a flaky driver, so the first thing I'd try is to update your keyboard driver to see if that resolves things.

• Hit Windows Key + R to open a Run Window.
  • Type devmgmt.msc in the Open: panel and then click OK.
  • This will open Device Manager
  • Click on Keyboards to open the properties window, and then click on the Driver tab
  • Now click on Update Driver to update the keyboard driver

Does this improve things at all ?

·
1,047 Posts
To be honest, since your laptop is only a month old, it should still be under warranty, and if it were me, I'd take it back to the store and let them sort out the problem ..... or give me a new machine.

My expertise is with removing Malware, and I'm reasonably happy that you don't have any. So if you don't want to return your laptop under warranty, then you're best starting a topic in either ...

.... or ....

Laptop Support

.... because the guys there will probably have more experience than I do with your kind of problem.

If they ask you whether you've checked for Malware, please feel free to refer them to this topic.

·
1,047 Posts
You're welcome.

As your problems do not appear to be malware related, I am now going to close this topic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.