Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiiiiii

I've been having problems with this computer ever since I ordered it. Initially, when I powered it on, only the power supply fan would go, nothing else. I swapped the power supply for one I know works. When I turn it on, all the fans spin and lights power on, except for the fan on the graphics card. I tested the RAM and reset the CMOS. I swapped out the graphics card for one that requires less power. The fan on the smaller card spins, but I still don't get a display. To be sure, I switched that card out for another card I know works. The fan on that didn't go.

I swapped out the motherboard a little while ago because I believed it fried. I kept the processor, but now, I don't know if it's working properly. However, I don't know if that would stop the graphics card's fan from spinning. Can anyone help me?

Specs:
i3 Intel Processor
850 watt power supply
8 gigs DDR3 RAM
ASUS P7P55 LX motherboard
Windows 7 (although I can't actually get there)

Thanksss!!!

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Did you assemble the components yourself or was it prebuilt?
If it's prebuilt and has a warranty, contact the builder/retailer.
Brand & Model of the GPU and the original PSU?
Brand & Model of the replacement PSU?

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,520 Posts
Sounds electrical like bad psu or bad motherboard but you need to answer Tyree's questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you assemble the components yourself or was it prebuilt?
If it's prebuilt and has a warranty, contact the builder/retailer.
Brand & Model of the GPU and the original PSU?
Brand & Model of the replacement PSU?
I assembled them myself. It's a GTX 260, the orignal PSU was a Rosewill 750w. New PSU is a Corsair 850w.

I did some more switching around, and found that the original GPU does not work in another computer that I know does. Same with the i3 processor. I tried the working processor and working GPU (also a GTX 260) on the motherboard in question and the fan on the GPU won't spin. Leads me to believe that the GPU, motherboard, and processor are fried. I tried the Rosewill power supply in the working computer, and it powers everything fine. I guess I'm going to have to replace motherboard, PSU, and CPU and see how that goes. Unless anyone else has any other solutions. Thanks for the help, guys!!!

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The Rosewill PSU would be a prime suspect to all of your problems. It could have easily done the damage to the other components.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
rosewills are one of the worst makes of power supplies out there. They are know to damage components if pushed anywhere near their stated peak output which is often no where near what it says on the label.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,520 Posts
Rosewill is Newegg's in house brand but the psu's really are aongst the worst out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.