Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just bought 8GB of DDR2 RAM from Crucial and it seems like my motherboard's 2nd RAM slots may not be working at all. Firstly, I ordered 4x2GB sticks of RAM. There's 4 slots. There's two blue slots and then two black slots. The problem is, only the first blue slot and the first black slot works. I tried putting all sticks in, but only the first blue and first black work. I had 4GB previously in the system in the exact same places, because I had another 2GB stick and it did not work. The system turns on, but doesn't boot. Is it faulty RAM slots or could there be settings in the bios?

Thanks.

My specs are:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Currently running with 4GB DDR2 667MHz Crucial (Want to install 8GB DDR2 667MHz Crucial)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT
700 WATT Power Supply
Motherboard is ASUS m4a785-m

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
It would appear the Mobo is the problem if no RAM sticks work in any particular slot(s).
4GB is usually more than sufficient and filling all the RAM slots van cause Voltage issues.
Brand & Model of the 700W PSU?
A low quality/underpowered PSU can damage other components (i.e. Mobo).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would appear the Mobo is the problem if no RAM sticks work in any particular slot(s).
4GB is usually more than sufficient and filling all the RAM slots van cause Voltage issues.
Brand & Model of the 700W PSU?
A low quality/underpowered PSU can damage other components (i.e. Mobo).
Newegg.com - XION PowerReal XON-700P14N 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

That is the PSU. My friend bought it off of TigerDirect as it was on sale... It was over a $100 PSU, or at the time it was at least.

I bought the CPU on eBay and it was suppose to be barely used. The CPU seems to be working fine and it looks literally barely used. Also the temps on the CPU are very good too.

I also bought the motherboard on eBay and it was manufacture refurbished, so perhaps RAM slots were and still are the issue?

I have not tried putting one stick of 2GB RAM in the 2nd blue slot and another 2GB RAM in the 2nd black slot. I will try that when I get back from work (currently on break).

My friend gave me this computer with a XFX motherboard and I decided to upgrade the motherboard to the ASUS one, I also upgraded the CPU with the Phenom II X4 940... It use to have Athlon 64 x2.

I would like 8GBs of RAM in this computer, I could always sell this RAM and buy 2x4GB regardless.

Edit: Also, I've only had the CPU and motherboard in the computer for the past week or a week and a half.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,076 Posts
The second slot of each color is the secondary slot for dual channel ram, Dual channel runs simultaneously using the first slot of each cuts the bandwidth of the memory channel to single channel.

Might be a good idea to pull the board and test it on the bench to eliminate the possibility of a short to the case.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I'm still favoring the Mobo as the problem but the XION PSU is still a good candidate for issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What would you guys recommend for a good PSU for my build? I also plan on upgrading the graphics card to XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5. I kinda figured 700W would be enough, but apparently as you guys are saying, no matter what wattage poor quality PSU's can do damage..

Edit: I tried putting one stick in the second slot and one stick in the fourth slot and no luck. I put them back into one in the first and the other in the third and it boots up right away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for double posting, I no longer see the "Edit" button anywhere, lol..

But the PSU worked fine with the other motherboard. The motherboard was a bit older though and this ASUS motherboard is a bit newer compared to the older one. Perhaps when we put it together, is it possible we didn't plug one thing inside the motherboard that could be causing this problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.