Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running the defrag utility it stops saying that there may be disk surface corruption on drive C, it then advises me to run a full scandisk/surface scan.

When I do this it shows no errors... so I cant defrag my drive via system mechanic (still can normally) and also the scandisk screen shows up in different colours (not the usual XP blue)

Is this a problem with sytem mechanic or my system? (if so how bad?)

Thanks in advance :grin:

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Hi,

Go to your disk manufacturer's website and download their disk utility for that drive. Use that to diagnose and/or repair/defrag your disk. That should give you any details that are needed. I am familar with System Mechanic and don't think that would be your problem from what you have said. The disk utility should get you back on track.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

Go to your disk manufacturer's website and download their disk utility for that drive. Use that to diagnose and/or repair/defrag your disk. That should give you any details that are needed. I am familar with System Mechanic and don't think that would be your problem from what you have said. The disk utility should get you back on track.
Got the program, will let you know how its goes... btw do you recommend backing up my drive before I do this?

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Hi,

I am a very strong proponent of backing up a disk before you do anything that could alter it. Just my personal opinion although I doubt if it would alter the disk.....just is not worth the risk not to back it up.

·
1,438 Posts
Have you downloaded tweakui for XP from microsoft and used it to disable the built in windows defrag from optimizing the drive in the background? XP uses a defrag utility based (developed by) executive software's diskeeper lite. It has the ability to run in the background all the time while windows is running and "optimize " the drive by moving things when it senses you are not doing anythign.
Ever noticed any times when you stop doing things for a few minutes and the hard drive suddenly shows a lot of activity?
Each defrag utility uses a different algorythm to decide how to sort files. Some sort by name, some by date installed, some by file type, some by frequency of use, some by combinations in various orders. XP defrag, like diskeeper sorts into catagories (Master file table, Windows, Programs, Data) and within each it sorts by frequency of use , optimizing placement for such things as prefetch of files during boot and loading files and programs you frequently use. It will place very small files in their master boot file entry rather than using an entire cluster (say you have 4KB clusters, why save a 100Byte file to a cluster thus wastign 3.9KB of space? ) it also "compresses old files" by combining several files which are not regularly used into a single compressed file (like a zip file) to optimize disk usage.

Now if you use another defrag utility, not only will it want to decompress these files and sort them in a different way (move them around) but if you do not disable windows defrag first, it will try to reverse this action. So you get conflicts and the second utility may malfunction and erroneously report drive damage since something it just moved is not where it thought it was placing it.
Use one utility or the other. Likewise, it is best to use their disk analysis tools for compatability (flipping the correct bit so that the defrag utility will accept that the drive has been checked for errors).

My advice is to just stick with the defrag utility provided in windows .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all... I had a program called 'Folder Lock' installed that locks folders and scrambles contents... have uninstalled it and its fine now, I guess the scramble process caused the problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.