Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the right place for my question and thank you for your time!

I'm having a possible hidden/corrupted file issue with my external hard drive. I've been going though all over the internet, but no solution so far.
I'm including some information below.

I've been using an old Buffalo external hard drive for several years to store most of my files, but it was getting old. So I bought a new one Silicon Power 5TB Rugged Portable External Hard Drive Armor A60 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K1Z1YB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to move all my files into this one.

During the file transferring, power to the Buffalo was cut of accidentally and the process was paused. I realized that after while and put the power back on. It seemed the transferring went on without any problem after that. However, when I checked the new drive after the process was done, it shows the amount of data usage I transferred, but I don't see any actual folder/files.

I've been going through and trying this Tech Forum and other websites for possible solution such as changing show hidden files in the folder option, searching them by using command prompt, etc. Nothing seems to work so far.

If you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,742 Posts
How much used space and how much free space does the mew drive show?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just basically forget about these files. Assuming that this is all that is all that is on the external drive, I would use the nuclear option and reformat the drive and start over.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,742 Posts
If the original is in good shape, then just doing what phishy2 says doesn't hurt anything and might work. The "pause" might have caused a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the original is in good shape, then just doing what phishy2 says doesn't hurt anything and might work. The "pause" might have caused a problem.
Yes, the original (Buffalo) is in good shape and still works.
It might not do anything, but I'm currently running recoverit to see if anything comes up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After trying few file recovery softwares, I was able to recover files. I'm still checking, but it looks like I was able to get 90% or more of data that I lost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.