Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope someone can help as i keep hitting brick walls wherever it turn :sigh:

The problem.... twice per week roughly our line appears to 'max out' (according to ping tests and viewing firewall reports) for a few hours at a time, rendering my staff with a very slow system. This is a 2MB leased line and can't understand why.

After our network provider is unable to find the problem, i performed tests when the system was running slow and found that by unplugging a particular PC (different PC's each time) the system gets back up to speed.

I then (when system running well) downloaded a 50MB test document from the internet and.... the whole office came grinding to a halt until the download finished. The download speed was c200kbps... considering my line is 2MB how did this happen?

I tried disconnecting all PC's again today, but, despite all odds, the system is still maxed out. :upset:

I was told that I may have a problem as I am running a 1gb switch and a 100mb firewall/router.... could this be right?

My spec is as follows:

I am currently running a 2MB leased line on a 1gb network with 12 pc’s running 1gb cards vista, 5 pc’s running 100/10 cards windows XP and 4 printers 100/10.

Other items are routed traffic through the panel not via the switch ie: telephones, scanners, faxes.

All cables we have been supplied are 1GB approved.

Switch = Netgear Gigabit Smart Switch GS748T (1GB)
Firewall = Fortigate 60B (100MB)
Cisco = Router 1800 series (100MB)

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Let me know if more information is required.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts
Well, the person telling you that your gigabit switch is the issue has no idea what he's talking about!

This sounds a lot like a common element has a problem, that would be the switch, firewall, or router.

What does this mean?
Other items are routed traffic through the panel not via the switch ie: telephones, scanners, faxes.
Can you provide a network diagram of how all of this is connected?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply John,

I have taken a picture of the patch panel and full equipment so you can see the configuration -the red cables are PC/printer connections - blue are for the telephone system - green is incoming from the firewall and the other is for our server/shared folder - yellow for fax machines - grey second leased line for single pc.

http://www.policyfast.co.uk/secure/temp/27112009271_hytfffd.jpg

http://www.policyfast.co.uk/secure/temp/hdjYY9843-yy734.jpg

"Quote:
Other items are routed traffic through the panel not via the switch ie: telephones, scanners, faxes."

Sorry, I will explain, the switch feeds into a patch panel for distribution to Cat5 ports - the patch panel is also used for our telephone system to route calls to extensions and the same for fax lines and a secondary leased line to one PC. All the cabling we use is 1gb approved CAT5.

The network map is as follows (again I have drawn a diagram so you can see more clearly):

2MB Leased Line --- Router --- Firewall --- Switch --- Patch Panel ---- PC's

I hope this helps,

Thanks & kind regards

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts
Well, it's really hard to read what you have on that diagram.

I can't see this being anything about the individual machines, so it's likely to be one of the common elements. I suspect you could remove the firewall as a test and see if the issue still occurs. As far as the router, I'd check for the latest firmware then do a reset to defaults and reconfiguration. Are you using any of the features of the Netgear switch, or is this configured as a standard switch? Resetting it to defaults might be a good idea as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The switch is configured as standard apart from one port to enable quicker/preferred access to the sharded folder for staff to open/retreive documents.

The firewall has been configured for access to various other servers (VPN's etc) the main one being used are telnet sessions.

This morning I disconnected the switch and connected direct to the firewall to test. I downloaded a 20MB doc which d/l at 250kbps and performed a ping test in the cmd menu which averaged over 800m/s as opposed to the usual 23m/s.

I will connect direct to the router tonight and let you know my findings.

Thanks again,

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts
I think with your technique, you should be able to isolate the problem component. It may be as simple as a configuration, bad port, or simply a defective component.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.