Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

This is aimed at all the SMC users. I have an SMC7004VBR wired router that I just started using a little while ago. I also have my Linksys which I adore, but at the moment I don't have it to use, so I am using the Barricade for the time being.

I was trying to setup UT2k3 so that I may host games and opened the proper ports ( 7777-8000,27900, 11777-11778, 8080, static IP setup). I am not new to networking but I am not a Guru either. The issue I have is with the PortForwarding (Virtual Server). It just doesnt seem to work. I have even tried placing my PC in the DMZ but it still doesnt work. Now, I remember before upgrading to SP2 a long time ago, that Virtual Server worked for other games but am not sure if this would have anything to do with this. I did disable the win firewall. I am just mentioning it incase anyone knows or has heard anything about this. What also puzzled me was that going through some sites, I read that the firmware on the router is not 100% working well and the DMZ on that router was not stable. I have also read that some versions of the firmware (older) correct the DMZ and Virtual server bugs. While at work today I stumbled apon a site which notes such an issue.

Toms Hardware/Networking states

"There appears to be a bug that results in a computer in DMZ not really being placed in front of the router's firewall. Symptoms are inability to reach LAN-side servers placed in DMZ, and applications such as games, internet phones, etc. not working from computers that are placed in DMZ.

SMC has been contacted on this issue, but has not confirmed that there is a bug.
NOTE! Contrary to some information being circulated on this problem, upgrading to Version 1.05 Boot code does not solve the problem.

Update 9/5/02 A helpful reader told us he solved his DMZ / Port forwarding problem by loading V1.0 firmware obtained from a helpful SMC Support tech, and unchecking the "SPI and anti-DoS firewall protection" box on the Firewall > Intrusion Detection router screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------SMC7004VBR 1.05 BETA firmware

This BETA release is reported to fix the DMZ and port forwarding problems in V1.03. It also adds UPnP (disabled by default), and Dynamic DNS functions. The Dynamic DNS feature allows selection of DynDNS.org or TZO for Dynamic DNS providers."

I havent gotten the chance to load this firmware as of yet but I will do so when I get home and give it a shot. Another Issue that makes me think it may be the firmware or the router itself was when I switched from DHCP to a static address. At that point, with the correct mappings, I successfully created and was able to host a game. Although, after about an hour or so, for no odd reason, I was disconnected from the router and lost network & internect connectivity. I was unable to log into the router via web interface so I had to perform a hard reset. After the reset, I setup the router again using static IP as well as updated to the most recent Firmware...but even with the correct mappings, and even with DMZ...I am unable to host a game or even see it on the Master Game Server. :4-dontkno
I have spent hours doing the research and playing around with the Ports...but it just doesnt work. Any ideas??

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently, once you upgrade the firmware, you can't install older firmware via the web interface. Atleast not for my router. :4-dontkno

I found the old installation CD and installed the original Firmware (1.0) through the s/w program on the cd. Now, the interface via browser looks like the old one, and has all the new settings missing from the new firmware I had installed, but on the main status screen it still shows that I am using the new Firmware version (1.08). Does that make sense?? :dead:

I tried again with the Virtual Server and the application works. I made sure to backup the config file just incase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.