Hello, ConfusedPerson, and welcome to TSF. We'll try to help you with your issue. Please bookmark this thread (save it in your Favorites) so that you may more easily return to it. Here's what we'll do to start:
Please download Ad-aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
and install it if you don't have it already. Make sure it's the newest version and check for any updates before running it. Also go to http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
to download the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. To run this tool, go into Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection. Also make sure to customize the settings in Ad-aware at http://www.greyknight17.com/spyware.htm#adaware
for better scan results. Run the scan and fix everything that it finds.
Download and install Spybot S&D http://security.kolla.de/
. Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available.
Now click Mode menu and choose 'Advanced Mode'. Next click on Immunize to your left. Click the Immunize button (green cross) on top to Immunize your computer - you should do this each time there is an update. Do NOT enable Spybot TeaTimer Resident protection at this time. What this will do is monitor any system/registry changes and will ask you for permission to change any of these settings. It may also hinder our fix at this point. You may enable it after the fix is complete.
Now click on the 'Spybot-S&D' option on the top left to go back to the main screen. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the 'Fix Selected Problems' button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix http://majorgeeks.com/download4392.html
and install it over the current Spybot installation.
Download CWShredder at http://www.greyknight17.com/spy/CWShredder.exe
and run it. Click on 'I Agree' button if you agree. Click on 'Fix' (it will automatically fix anything it finds for you) and then click OK. If it asks if you want to delete a certain random file, choose No and post that filename here. Let it finish the scan and then hit Next and Exit.
Download Trend Micro™ Anti-Spyware for the Web Utility
(by clicking the "Scan and Clean your PC" button).
- Save it to your desktop.
- Double-click the new icon on your desktop (tmas-web-scan.exe)
- It will say "Loading TrendMicro definitions".
- Once the definitions are loaded, the program will appear to close then re-open.
- Click "Start Scan"
- After it's done scanning, click "Scan Results"
- Make sure all items found have a check next to them, then click "Clean Threats Now".
- Click Exit.
Reboot your computer. I then need you to repeat the same procedure above again... using the TrendMicro tool. In place of the TrendMicro icon will be a text file called "Antispyware.log
", please double-click that log and copy the entire contents and paste them here.
I need the log from the second scan/clean...NOT the first...as this will contain what’s left in the system.
Perform an online scan with Internet Explorer with Panda ActiveScan
- requires Internet Explorer
* Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
- Click on the Scan your PC button & a 'pop up' window shall appear. * ensure that your pop up blocker doesn't block it
- Click On 'Scan Now'
- Enter your e-mail address & click 'Scan Now' ...begins downloading Panda's ActiveX controls.- 8MB
- Begin the scan by selecting My Computer
* You needn't remain online while it's doing the scan but you have to re-connect after it has finished to see the report.
- If it finds any malware, it will offer you a report. Click on see report
- Then click Save report
- Post the contents of the report in your next reply
Please download HijackThis http://www.greyknight17.com/spy/HijackThis.exe
- this program will help us determine if there are any spyware/malware on your computer. Create a folder at C:\HJT and move HijackThis.exe there. Double click on the program to run it.
1. If it gives you an intro screen, just choose 'Do a system scan and save a logfile'.
2. If you don't get the intro screen, just hit Scan and then click on Save log.
3. Post the hijackthis.log file here. Do not fix anything in HijackThis since they may be harmless.