Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poor FPS? shouldnt...

678 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  emosun 
#1 ·
Alright guys:
-Gigabyte GA-7DXE Socket A Motherboard. AMD Northbridge, VIA Southbridge AGP4x PC2100.
-AMD Athalon XP 2600+
-1.5GB PC2100 (Matching) Kingston
-Chaintech GeForce 6600 256MB.
500W Antect, 40A single 12+ Rail (obviously overpowered)

Now... This is a decent system, or should be, for what I use it for. I get TERRIBLE fps in games. Most unplayable, but even CS 1.6 I get 60-70is. I am NOT a beginner with hardware/software so lets rule out the questions like "is vertical sync on", "are your drivers up to date", etc.

I have gone through two different 6600 cards, 3 socket A motherboards, multiple sets of ram, 3 PSU's, disabling onbord sond, 2 different procs (both being 2600+). all i have to say is:
------[W]-----[T]-----[F]-----

This is getting aggravating. My goal was to have a SUPER budget PC to play League of Legends and CS 1.6 on, as well as take care of business matters. If I throw in my old MX4000 AGP card, it works fine in all variations of my setup. 100fps in cs, for the most part, but i need a better card to play LoL (DotA clone).

I threw my 6600 in an old P4 machine and ran everything flawlessly. Now, that machine had an Intel chipset. I just realized this morning that all 3 motherboards I have tried are VIA chipsets. :( sadpanda is sad. I have googled and googled. Fastwrites off, multiwriting off, switch to agp 1x/2x, gone through every driver ever made, max draw frame rates ahead set to 0, and so many more things I cant even name. Help. Please.

There have got to be some old Socket A fanatics out there, the 2600 was a champ of its time, still is incredibly fast, I am blown away every time I need to launch a process-intensive application.

See less See more
#4 ·
I swear I'm just running out of options. Im taking this card back and screaming at every person in the computer store because I am that immature when angry. Buying a new power supply, and if it doesnt fix this problem I am setting fire to my house and watching, giggling, in a psychotic-rage-filled way. For the sake of my home, let a new PSU fix this. Guys, I am SO LOST. I have never NOT been able to solve a computer issue such as this.

#5 ·
Firstly , stop buying random hardware to correct this problem , you need to diagnose the actual problem first.

Second , an athlon xp 2600 isn't a fast cpu , and VIA just is known for cheap chipsets. You cannot slap brand new videocards on motherboards from 2002 and expect them to be compatible.

As for your actual problem. The two cards your using are pci-e converted gpu's. Both the 6600 and 4650 use pci-e conversion chips to adapt them to agp. These chips are usually not supported by older or cheaper motherboard and as a result work poorly , or not at all.

The athlon 2600 isn't really much better then a pentium 4 at all so you might as well use the p4 machine in the mean time until you get a newer machine.

#6 ·
idk man. this is just getting ridiculous. Replaced the HDD, mine showed many errors, it got SLIGHTLY better. So what are you saying, go with an FX5700? Idk... its getting tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.