Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all, I am in need of major help right now. Recently the power went out due to the heavy storm in PA. I tried turning my computer back on, and a message popped up saying Hard Drive cannot be found. So I wasn't sure if it was the I/O or the drive itself. I picked up an enclosure kit, and using a different Windows XP based computer I still wasn't able to detect the hard drive, which to mean meant that it is dead. So then I got this new Seagate 300 GB SATA drive. I also got a PCI SATA adaptor, and put it in the slot, then I placed the drive in, then I hooked it up, and using the provided floppy disk I tried installing the drive, and the adaptor. I then placed in the Boot System CD, which to me is Sony vaio's system CD rom ??? I go through what seems like an installation, but then it says Windows XP OS cannot be found on the drive, so then I restart and press F2, change a few things, and I get hard drive cannot be found, check if it's set up or something, I press okay, and it goes over. Then something happened, after one of my many modifications but then I get a message saying that windows did not start as expected blabhblabh, do I want to start it in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt, or start windows normally I tried all four no luck. then I reinstalled the system Cd and no luck.

I am using a PCV-RZ24G desktop vaio, which originally came with a seagate Ultra ATA 120 GB hard drive. I don't know why I can't get it to start from the new drive. I need help please.
I forgot to say that the hard drive is normally partitioned to 15 and 105 or something by the system CD. I don't know if that plays a factor.

If someone had a step by step on how to do it, I'd appreciate it, and also if in particular someone has done it on a vaio, that would be really cool. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did. Someone's telling me now that I can't boot a SATA drive using a controller. He said my motherboard would have to have the SATA port built in.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Yes you can boot to a separate controller. In the BIOS you will need to choose the controller for one of the devices in the boot sequence. It usually is listed as a "SCSI" or "other PCI".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.