Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Well if you are using a pirated copy of Win98 then I'm afraid your not going to get much help here...................:no:

·
Registered
529 Posts
SPEEDO said:
Well if you are using a pirated copy of Win98 then I'm afraid your not going to get much help here...................:no:

...or maybe you will...
I don't support pirating, but you sometimes gotta do what you gotta do.:tongue2:

One method: Hit your Control Panel, then go into Add Remove Programs. Right there you should have a tab for the Windows 98 CD. Have your 98SE CD ready, and the rest you can figure out easily.;)

Another method: MAKE YOUR OWN!
Format a floppy as a system disk, then copy the tools you need and want to the disk. Make a startup routine for it if you want. This method takes some more advanced knowledge, so I won't recommend it for your case. I made one with my CDROM driver for if I have a system that won't boot from the CD.

By the way, I had to make me an XP Pro CD. I paid for a XP Home CD when I bought my computer, but NONE WAS PROVIDED! I then had to copy someone's Pro CD because that was the only XP I could find. ...all just to get Windows back on my new computer. Windows 98SE wouldn't work for this one.:angry2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
SPEEDO said:
All the lights are on but there doesn't appear to be anyone home...:rolleyes:
...and what does that mean? Don't make me start flaming.:argue: Just because the CD is burned don't mean it is pirated. My Win95 CD is burned, but it was made from my old Win95 CD that was getting pretty hard to read. I am still using that same OEM number for Windows 95. Also, he probably did pay for Windows 98, but had to make a backup of his CD because it became unreadable. ...or he may not have gotten a CD with his computer for whatever reason (you know those things are bad to vanish out of a computer box before, during, or after shipping). I have been there, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until he comes out and says that he got the disk from a friend for free.

S

·
0 Posts
...and what does that mean? Don't make me start flaming. Just because the CD is burned don't mean it is pirated. My Win95 CD is burned, but it was made from my old Win95 CD that was getting pretty hard to read. I am still using that same OEM number for Windows 95. Also, he probably did pay for Windows 98, but had to make a backup of his CD because it became unreadable. ...or he may not have gotten a CD with his computer for whatever reason (you know those things are bad to vanish out of a computer box before, during, or after shipping). I have been there, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until he comes out and says that he got the disk from a friend for free.
If he didn't share that valuable bit of information then no would have known any different. I for one would never go onto a forum and blurt out the fact that I was using a burned CD, If in fact I was.

As far as you flaming if that's what you want to do then knock yourself out, it wouldn't bother me in the least I've been flamed by the best of them and walked away laughing.................:D

Any other forum would have more than likely closed this thread right from the get go to dissuade any further posts such as this. IMHO.................:winkgrin:

S

·
0 Posts
Why don't you just delete it like you have done to some of the other threads that you didn't like................:upset:

·
Registered
529 Posts
SPEEDO said:
If he didn't share that valuable bit of information then no would have known any different. I for one would never go onto a forum and blurt out the fact that I was using a burned CD, If in fact I was.

Good point. I normally wouldn't mention that stuff either.:thmbup:

I guess when you get into that kind of boat, you kinda feel like you're attacked sometimes when someone is turned down help for a similar issue.:D

To be honest, I thought this thread was about to spiral out of control until someone deleted it.:angel: ...like I'm not the one to crashi it!:tongue2:

S

·
0 Posts
Okay so I guess we're on the same page now...........:winkgrin:

You know if someone posts a thread about them burning a copy of their own OS for backup there's no b!tch from me. But when they openly say it's a burned CD and that's the end of it up goes the red flag.

·
Registered
529 Posts
True, true. A burned CD is usually (though not always) pirated. I may be only one of three people who burns CD's for reasons other than pirating.:tongue2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.