Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason the plug and play usb support under windows xp no longer works on my system but I cannot find any way of reinstalling this component of the windows framework.

The problem is this when you plug any usb item into the computer it automatically assigns it as a Unknown Device with no driver details installed. When you go into update the driver with the exact driver provided by the manufacturer it just comes up with 'there is no information relating to the hardware'. If you try and do the automatic search including the online function it comes up with 'The best driver is already installed' which is silly cause there arn't any drivers installed.

Any Help will be greatly appreciated cause i'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Try the device manager and uninstall all USB . Reboot, Xp should install them. If that doesn't work check in the Bios to see if the USB is enabled.
You don't indicate if you have SP2/3 installed. If you haven't , I would suggest you do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply everything enabled in the bios settings computer has up-to-date service pack 3 on it tried pretty much everything with clearing the old files out modifying the registry driver files clearing temp uninstalling all the usb items then rebooting and letting it reload again. They are viewable from device manager as empty ports but as soon as you plug something in it automatically assigns it as an unkown device and does not let you modify it in any way, normally saying the best driver is installed then when you click on driver details it says that there is no driver installed.

Just need to know whether its gonna be a re-format and re-install of XP or not to be honest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is a problem with the I/O ports on the motherboard. I'm going to remove the drive and put in into another computer tonight and see if that works otherwise i'll put it as a slave transfer any needed data and wipe it all off and start again.

Cheers for the input guys.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Make sure you are plugging this device into the Back USB ports of the computer, if it is a Desktop, not the Front, the front ports are weaker and do not provide enough power for some devices and it will give you this symptom. Also if the device has a power adapter, make sure you are using the right one and that you are plugging it directly into the wall not through a surge protector or extension cord, as this also would not provide enough power to get the device recognized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.