Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have Windows Vista, Home Premium service pack 2, and quite literally one day last week I turned on my computer and quite literally, many of my device drivers had error problems, and my services that Vista runs on startup were also disabaled. Since then, I have managed to rectify many of the problems with my device drivers etc. but one Driver error still remains. The "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" has an exclimation mark beside it, thus indicating an error. The error is, and I quote:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Solutions I have tried;

1. checking for solutions to it, no results
2. going to reinstall the driver, but to do that, I need to find/download the files "swenum.sys" and "swenum.inf" according to various sources on the net. Tried googling it, but to no avail, as the file seems to have vanished off the face of the net.
3. Disabling and Enabling the device (worth a shot :p), but still no joy.

I'm now at my wits end with this! The reason why this error was flagged to me, was because I bought Windows 7 to upgrade from Home Prenium Vista, and I also bought an external hard drive to transfer all my files to, as Windows Vista can't upgrade to Windows 7, thus the contents of my hard drive would be wiped, hence why I want to transfer my files. My external hard drive is a . . . yeh u guessed it, a "plug and play" device, and since this driver is not working, my external hard drive won't work, thus I can't copy my files.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this error? As I desperatly want to install windows 7 as quick as possible.

All replies welcomed,

Many thanks,
Ryan

N.B The properties of the driver say that the manufacturer is "(standard system devices)"
The properties also say that the driver's "Location:" is "unknown"

And . . .
Yes, I have tried to update the driver, but it says its alrealdy up to date. There is no option to roll-back the driver 'greyed out', and scanning for hardware changes does'nt aid in solving the problem.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
I would suggest that you run the System File Checker - SFC -

START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select run as Administrator | the black command prompt ("DOS") screen will appear | type the following:

Code:
[font=lucida console]sfc /scannow[/font]
Upon completion re-boot to allow files in use to be repaired.

SFC general info - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

SFC & the CBS log - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.