Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed all the nvidia drivers from my computer the best i could and put the new 256mb GF 6800gt card into the correct slot. As soon as I boot up the computer it makes a loud whistel-like tone which seems to be coming from the video card. It's kinda hard to tell where exactly its coming from because it is so loud. Nothing appears on the monitor end, as well. I'm upgrading from a 128mb GF fx 5200 which ran without any problems before.

system specs- Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512 MB RAM, 72GB disk space
not sure about the power supply but i got speed fan which says
VCORE: 1.50V
+12V: 11.98V
+3.3V: 3.34V
+5V: 5.05V
VIN2: 15.50V
+5VSB: 6.85V
VBAT: 0.70V

If anyone knows what the loud whistle sound means or what these volt ratings mean please help
much appreciated,
Drone

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
What is the ampere rating on the 12v line? That's indicated on the PSU itself. That sound is usually a warning that the card isn't getting the juice it needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

On the PSU it says 17A max on the 12V line.
Also says 209 watts max on another +12V line, and I believe I read somewhere that this card needs at least 300W to run. Did i read this right? If so, then i just don't have enough juice, as you said. So if you have any tips or suggestions on a PSU upgrade it would be much appreciated.

thanks for the fast reply.
thanks again,
Drone

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I believe the actual requirement is 350w. The more amperes on the 12v line the better. I went from 18a to 24a and saw a significant boost in performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
been running a 6800 GT on an Antec 430W tru power for 10 mths without a hitch and now have flipped to a SLI config (6600GT on A8N) again no power probs...

I always reckon a good quality psu is worth it and Antec seems very reliable and tru to power...
430, 500 & 550 available i think

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.