Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

One of my friends wishes to purchase servers and his requirements are as follows. Can someone please recommend a HP servers along with exact model and details specifications including URL which can help him select. Details available are:

Server #1: To be used as the main server for DNS, DHCP, and MS-Exchange server

Server #2: Will be used an a application server

Questions/more available information:
1) He wishes to have raid 3 or raid 5 for server # 2
2) How much total hard disk should be ok for each server
3) what should be the min. RAM for each server
4) He wishes to have internal tape back-up unit for server #2

Thanks

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I don’t have any recommendations as of yet, but I do have a few comments on the “idea” that your friend is having for his ventures.

It is not generally a “good practice” to have your Domain Controller and Exchange installed on the same server. I would invert the idea, putting your Domain Controller with the application server and putting Exchange as a stand alone server.

Have a look here:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Planning-First-Exchange-Server.html

You have not really provided us with enough information about what the servers are going to be used for and what all will be running on the servers. Application server is a very broad statement.

Some additional information that we definitely will need is:

1. What applications will run on these servers?
  2. How many users will this Domain have?
  3. How many network connections will this Domain have?
  4. What types of connections will this Domain have?
  5. What type of storage requirements will you need?
  6. What version of Windows Server will run on this system?
  7. What version of Exchange will run?
  8. What clients will connect to this Domain?
  9. How will those clients connect to the Domain?
  10. Will a virtual environment be ran on any servers?
Those are just a few questions that I can pull off the top of my head, there will be many, many more I am sure!

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your reply and suggestions. Really am grateful for these. Below are answers to your questions. Hope these replies will help you come up with some recommendations regarding servers needed:

1. What applications will run on these servers?
    ANSWER: I think this has already been answered in my original post. The plan is that Server #1 will be acting as the Domain Controller (running DNS and DHCP and whatever else falls under the category of a Domain Controller). I have NO clue what really falls under the category of Domain controller. In addition the plan is that this server will run MS-Exchange 2003
  2. How many users will this Domain have?
    ANSWER: Initially upto 25 users and upto 50 users in about 12 months maybe
  3. How many network connections will this Domain have?
    ANSWER: As shared above - Initially upto 25 users and upto 50 users in about 12 months maybe
  4. What types of connections will this Domain have?
    ANSWER: Not sure what this question means??? It will be a LAN. Can you please elaborate on your question
  5. What type of storage requirements will you need?
    ANSWER: Idea was to have RAID 3 or even RAID 5 on the server running the application while RAID 3 on the domain controller. The idea is that about 1 TB of total HD on each of the servers should be more than enough. What do you say?
  6. What version of Windows Server will run on this system?
    ANSWER: Inclined towards Windows 2003 but some people are saying that Windows 2008 is better?? Is it? But I guess the price difference will be significant???
  7. What version of Exchange will run?
    ANSWER: Most probably 2003 because the latest version 2007 is too expensive. BTW, are there different versions of MS-Exhange? I mean something like the standard version versus a enterprise version. Would a standard version be okay for upto 50 users?
  8. What clients will connect to this Domain?
    ANSWER: Pls elaborate. question is not clear :(
  9. How will those clients connect to the Domain?
    ANSWER: Pls elaborate. question is not clear :( All I can tell is that things will be on a LAN but I guess you are asking for some more stuff???
  10. Will a virtual environment be ran on any servers?
    ANSWER: Am totally lost by this question :( Please elaborate what you mean

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Hi and thanks for the update...

#1 - Yes, the stuff listed is pretty standard for a Domain, but I was leaning more towards what applications will be running on the APPLICATION server you mentioned. Anything special, processor or memory intensive, or anything requiring a standalone server for itself specifically? This will help to determine your best SETUP METHOD and memory/HDD space required. Also, are you intending on using any type of Citrix or Terminal Services?

#4 - Types of connection - meaning will everything be internally connected or will you be using VPN, Point to Point, Frame Relays, or simply just a local LAN connection to this server. This isn't a very IMPORTANT question, but would help a little in determing the number of interfaces on the system.

#5- That all depends on what applications will be running on the servers and what type of file storage requirements you will have to have for user storage areas and so forth. I.e. you have to remember we have no idea what your company does or is doing for business.

#6 - Nothing wrong with Server 2003 at all. Windows 2008 is better, but as you said the pricing difference be substantial. Especially after looking at #7 statement on Exchange.

#7 - You will have to purchase Exchange CALS for the mailboxes. There are different versions of Exchange. The standard version will work fine for 50 users as long as they do not exceed an information store of 16GB without SP2 and 75GB with SP2.

Link to the short comparison:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822440

#8 - Will any non-Windows clients connect to the servers? Are all Windows Clients Windows XP or greater?

#9 - Basically will all clients connect via LAN or will some be remote clients.

#10 - Virtual enviroments meaning that you can have more than one PC or SERVER running within a single server or both. I.e. Kind of like HyperV in Server 2008 or by using Virtual Server on previous versions. A short, no precise description would that you can actually run your MS Exchange Server, Application Server, Web Server, SQL Server, and much more on one set of server hardware - all of these being "literally" different servers with different IPs and all.

Virtual Server:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/

HyperV
http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/default.aspx

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.