Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please look at my computer parts list

801 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 ·
I am going to go with an Amd system all of the parts I am listing are from Newegg. My parts are:

CPU Amd 8350 Vishera
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Sabortooth 990 FX/Gen3 R2.0
Powersupply: XFX P1-750B-BEFX 750 watts modular
Video Card: XFX double D Radeon HD 7870
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
Harddrives: SSD for OS-120gb? & Mechanical for storage-1TB
Case: Corsair Vengence c70 Military green Steel ATX

I am going with a military theme. This is my first build and any feed back on if it's compatible and or a good build for gaming.

#2 ·
Drop the liquid cooler. Liquid offers no advantage over air and the OEM cooler will be fine if no OC is applied.
Personally, I would go with a Sapphire or Asus for the 7870.
650W is more than enough for a 7870.
Is the 8GB of RAM a 2x4GB matched pair and what are the specs?
SSD's are very expensive and not a good value at this time considering the high price vs. the minimum advantage.

#3 ·
You can easily afford a better video card (not that there's anything wrong with a 7870) and get more out of your money with Tyree's advice, although I personally like SSDs at your price range. Samsung's 840 Series look like the best value/reliability at the moment. Anything less than ~120gb will easily run out of space, even with just games and Windows.

The motherboard is a bit overkill. You're paying for a lot of features you won't use. If overclocking is important to you, the following pair will save you money and net you virtually the exact same results:
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

#5 ·
SSDs are expensive, but do provide faster boot times. If you're not concerned with the total cost, I say why not try SSD. I reboot my build a lot, trying experimental operating systems, tweaking registry settings, etc, so for me the SSD was a good choice because I save a lot of time with the reboots. The same may not be true for a gamer. They shouldn't be too concerned with boot times. A dual core processor and a good graphics card is all it takes to run games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.