Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has Windows 98, and I have no operating system.
Is there a way I can hook up his harddrive to my computer.
And copy his files & operating system, to mine........

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't think this would work unless you had identical PC's - due to registry settings, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
you can do this, but do it AT YOUR OWN RISK :

Set both drives to Master and set CD-ROM to slave

Mount both drives in cabinet (choose location that allows cables to be swapped)

Connect new drive to primary IDE channel (do not connect old drive or CD-ROM yet)

Boot from the floppy that you created in step one and Fdisk the new hard drive with or without partitions (depends on which version of windows)

Format with /s option (format c: /s) and format additional partitions if necessary.

Boot from hard drive to confirm format.

Power down.

Disconnect primary data cable from new drive

Connect primary data cable to OLD hard drive and secondary data cable to new hard drive (no need to connect CD-ROM yet)

Boot up, you should end up back in windows

Go to MyComputer you should see the new hard drive as D:

Check that there are only system files on drive D:

From MyComputer's command bar click on (View) make sure show all files is ON and hide system files is NOT checked.

Press CTRL+ALT + DEL and end all tasks except Explorer and Systray

Open MyComputer and DblClick on drive C: then open MyComputer again and DblClick on drive D: this will give you two windows one drive C: and one drive D:

Position the windows so you can see the files on both drives, click on the drive C: window, make sure that you are in the ROOT folder. Select all files except Win386.swp. RightClick drag selected files to the drive D: window and select copy.

Go have a cup of coffee or soda

After files have copied power down and remove data cables from both drives.

Connect primary data cable to new hard drive. (do not connect old drive or CD)

Boot up and if everything went ok you should have a copy of windows with all your installed apps on your new drive.

Check that programs work properly if so then power down, if not you must have missed a step. Not to worry though, just reconnect your old drive to primary data cable and try again.

If everything looks ok it's time to finish up by connecting old drive and CD to secondary data cable.

Boot up again and check that all drives are working and accessible.

AGAIN DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK

have fun

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What about differences in mother boards, hard drives, video, modems, etc, etc? He could conceiveably have the wrong drivers for everything! Isn't all this stored in the registry?:pray: :hanged: :reaper:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
yes, thats true....what can probably happen is when he boots up on that HD he might get loads of errors due to compatibility issues...I actually did that, about 2 times maybe and it took me loooong time to clean up the HD and to install correct drivers, but it actually worked...thats why I put in big bold letters...do it at your own risk... :D

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think it would be worth it just to spend some $$ and buy an old copy of '98 or whatever OS you want off Ebay.

Or find someone with an extra CD or 10 laying around ... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hehe, yeah I guess you got me on that one, Pseudocyber... I think that you would be better off paying $5 or $10 for a win CD...or get a redhat linux...and then send me a copy :D (j/k)...I guess I like to do things the hard way...hehe. :wave:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
On another note:
My brother has Windows 98, and I have no operating system.
You may want to go ahead and create your own account here, that way I always know who Im talking to, Iv noticed that you guys seem to share and somtimes its like talking with someone with a split personality disorder. :D

That way you would be able to customize your own avatar and signature as well. Just a thought, you dont have to.

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No its only me, my brother is 13 and he's not allowed to go on
forums. Its only been I person, but Im tring to me out right now.
My friend is suppose to give me WINDOWS XP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.