Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have win 98 and we are having major problems. We were given this comp by someone else and was not given the restore disc with it, and even if we had it we cannot get our cd rom drive to open to put a cd in. I will list the main problems and if anyone can help please all ideas are appreciated.

1) Our comp will just all of a sudden restart itself while we are in the middle of something, then come up and run scandisk cus it was not shut down properly.

2) All of a sudden some of the programs we have installed just got errors and wont run at all. i.e. AOL I am using aol 4.0 right now, because we had 9.0 then it just decided it had an error and wont load at all. We tried to reinstall it but it keeps telling us that the install mode cannot be iniatilized, whatever that means

3) I was going to try and do a system restore to a previous date, but our computer cannot find that file anywhere for some reason. As I said earlier I cannot use a recovery disc because we dont have one and even if we did we cannot get our cd rom drive to open so we can put a disc in.

Please help if u can.
zjazzjeffz

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

Our comp will just all of a sudden restart itself while we are in the middle of something, then come up and run scandisk cus it was not shut down properly.
Check for bad memory or a bad power supply

I was going to try and do a system restore to a previous date, but our computer cannot find that file anywhere for some reason. As I said earlier I cannot use a recovery disc because we dont have one and even if we did we cannot get our cd rom drive to open so we can put a disc in.
Windows 98 does not support the System Restore feature. Check to make sure the power connector is securely connected to the cd-rom drive inside the case.
If it is secure, try a different IDE cable or a different cd-rom

T

·
0 Posts
hello more then likely you can by a win 98se (se) not just 98. on ebay
make sure it comes with a cdkey, also try pricegrabber.com

there also may be a folder on your HD, it will be

\\windows\options\cabs if you have this folder and it has the windows cab files, you are home free, just navigate to this folder and run setup. With windows 98 you can install windows on top of itself, that means when windows ask what folder to install to select c:\windows, that way all your system files will be replaced, your data will be ok, but just incase back up anything you need. you will have to turn on " show hidden files and folders"
and turn off " hide system files" or you will not be able to see the cab folder IF it is there. More then likeley your pc is infected with malware, that is viruses, spyware and trojans. To no go through scandisk everytime, when scandisk starts press the X key to exit.
ps ..>>>you have to do the malware removal first, before anything else
google panda scan...they have a great on line free virus removal scanner
and google spywareguide.com ...they have a great spyware removal online tool, theirs is on the left under online tools....remove all it finds

·
1,438 Posts
zjazzjeffz said:
We have win 98 and we are having major problems. We were given this comp by someone else and was not given the restore disc with it, and even if we had it we cannot get our cd rom drive to open to put a cd in. I will list the main problems and if anyone can help please all ideas are appreciated.

1) Our comp will just all of a sudden restart itself while we are in the middle of something, then come up and run scandisk cus it was not shut down properly.
This is most likely a power supply problem or something overheating. Will it restart right away or do you have to let it cool down?
2) All of a sudden some of the programs we have installed just got errors and wont run at all. i.e. AOL I am using aol 4.0 right now, because we had 9.0 then it just decided it had an error and wont load at all. We tried to reinstall it but it keeps telling us that the install mode cannot be iniatilized, whatever that means
If the hard drive head crashes into the disk when the shutdown occurs, it can scrape data off the drive thus making the data non recoverable. This is why scandisk runs when it crashes ; to try to identify damaged areas and if possible recover data from them and move it to non damaged areas.

3) I was going to try and do a system restore to a previous date, but our computer cannot find that file anywhere for some reason. As I said earlier I cannot use a recovery disc because we dont have one and even if we did we cannot get our cd rom drive to open so we can put a disc in.

Please help if u can.
zjazzjeffz
As explained there is no system restore in win98. You can restore previous registries but I doubt this will solve your problems.
If you have the folder C:\Windows\Options\Cabs or if you have or can borrow a win98 cd, you should try a system file check to find and replace missing or damaged files
Go to start / run and type
sfc
hit enter
when it finds a missing or damaged file, choose to replace from the cabs folder or install cd. If it cannot find it, write down what it is, and choose ignore. It will show again next time you run system file checker and you can restore then. Just post the file name and we can tell you where to download a copy from and you can just save it to a folder on your desktop and tell sfc to restore it from there.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
If the hard drive head crashes into the disk when the shutdown occurs, it can scrape data off the drive thus making the data non recoverable. This is why scandisk runs when it crashes ; to try to identify damaged areas and if possible recover data from them and move it to non damaged areas.
FYI - If the heads come into contact with the platter, the heads themselves are toast. When power is lost, the heads actually move to the park position on their own.

T

·
0 Posts
I seriously doubt it is the power supply if the pc is just restarting, if it were shutting off, then maybe

T

·
0 Posts
do you mean an open or a short. a short would more than likely pop your circuit breaker ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.