Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm back with the same old problem. Here is the deal: I had a costumer's computer that wouldn't turn on, fans spun only 2 secs and then it would turn off.. I replaced the mobo and it turned on, but no image on the monitor, only fans spinning like crazy!. After 1 week of trying to find out what was wrong, I took the computer to school so my professor would help me, and we found out what the problem was. We put on a processor from another computer and it worked, everything fine, I even got rid of some spyware. Well, I had to leave the cpu at school since it was not mine, and ordered a new one, one just like the one the computer had from the factory, a 340 Celeron at 2.93 GHz. We ruled out PSU, since, the computer worked fine at school with the new CPU, and we also ruled out RAM because it also worked at school with the same RAM. Well, yesterday I got the cpu, installed it, put some thermal compund, and turned the computer on. I tought that since the problem was the cpu, the new one I ordered would work just fine. But, again, fans spun like crazy, and I got no video output, no POST, nothing at all! Any clue on what could it possibly be?
I am very frustrated because I have replaced both the mobo and cpu and nothing worked. I know the PSU and RAM are ok, because I used them when it turned on at school.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree with Linderman. Also, try putting the other cpu back in. If it works just trade your teacher for his :) lol

A thing to think about, when something fails, ie psu, it doesnt have to fail all at once. Maybe you just got "unlucky" that it worked fine at the school. But I would do the psu first thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have tried with another psu before installing the new cpu and it didnt worked, it was also using the same psu when it turned on at school. But it wont hurt to try, I will try today.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the cpu I got on another computer and it didnt work, tried a cpu from a computer at school and booted up fine. I decided to buy a new cpu, it is a Pentium 4 at 2.4, which is the same kind the computer at school had. I removed the CMOS battery for a minute and it booted up just fine. I left it on for like 45 min,and then when I came back yo lokk at it, the screen was blank again. I moved the mouse to turn it back on, and I get this long beeps from the mobo. And I get no signal again. Any clue on what my new problem could be?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
from your previous replies I thought you had been trying cmos clearing right along ........ guess I missed something

happy to hear you have things sorted :wave:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I did that, when I installed the new CPU. I tried clearing the CMOS with the defective CPU with no success. I got the new CPU to work after clearing the CMOS, but then the long beeps came. I cleared the CMOS again and removed one PCI card and now its all good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.