Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Windows 98 P2 400mhz 256sdram.....I installed a new graphics card with all the drivers and all. I moved my pci nic card down one slot so my card's fan could breath. When I started windows back up, all hell broke loose. I had to re-install all the nic card drivers along with the pci graphics card(Verto GeForce4 MX 420 PCI). I had to install Directx 8.1 before the card drivers. When i tried to connect to the internet via IE, I recieved "this program has preformed an illegal operation" error. So i tried Navigator......this time an error with "Netscape was unable to create a network socket connection. There may be insufficient system resources or the network may be down"......I've tried to restart but NO luck. I later discovered ANY PROGRAM that uses the internet.....kazaa, IRC, any game, etc......receives a fatal error and has to be closed. I call comcast and the modem is connect to the nic card because i can get a ip and such. When pinging a host name like "www.yahoo.com" in ms-promt i get unknown command, but if I use a IP address i get a reply. ANY HELP IS WANTED....i've tried mostly everything i can think of.......
re-installed IE...but it still thinks i have 6.........i go to add/remove programs ...but i don't have a "un-instal" option

i'm on a mac...with trial....aol....56k.....
ANY SUGGESTIONS !!!!
Thx
gman932

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
dont know macs....but under win 98 start programs accessories system tools system information....there is a internet explorer repair tool...also start run SFC for the system file checker...Try removing Kazza as that might be the problem it self...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
?

my problem is on a pc.....i'm just using another computer to get on the internet.....This problem happens to allllllLLLL INTERNET related programs...not just kazaa.Internet was working fine before I started to install the card.
Why should the graphics card cause the problem. I even removed the drivers for that and tried it. No luck.

help...

·
Registered
852 Posts
I moved my pci nic card down one slot
That was where it began. You should have un installed the card, shut down, put the card in the slot you wanted, let it re- configure.

I bet you plugged the vid card in the slot the NIC was in too.

At this point, un install the NIC in the device manager, re-boot, let the system detect the card- you allready have drivers. THEN read your comcast documentation on getting their modem to talk with your NIC. Some companies have a software disk that automatically configures the NIC with the proper protocols, addresses and bindings to talk to the special modem, some simply give you the settings on paper.

Your problem is your cable modem isn't communicating with your NIC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to do that. I did call comcast support. They did say my modem was connected with my nic card, because i could release and refresh my ip from winipcfg. The graphics card isn't in the slot were the nic card was . I will try your suggestion and post what results I encounter.

thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol knock comcrap all you want. My uploads are 15 kb/s :(. I can ping out to an ip though, not the host name like www.yahoo.com. It is wierd. I just hope it's not the graphics card with direct x 8.1 cause that would suck.
Keep the post coming.

THX
gman932

G

·
Try booting into safe mode then go into device manger and see how many extra nic cards are in there.

If there is more than one remove them all and reboot.

Reinstall the driver when asked.

After bootup go to start and type winipcfg.exe

Check the dropdown box to see if your nic is there not PPP.

After you have set this to your nic.

Click more info.

Click release all.

Then click renew all.

See if this helps....:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.