Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anybody please tell me if i have to change anything other than the boot order in BIOS to boot from an external USB Hard drive?
Because it's not working.:mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that really true? Then why would the software(Paragon drive copy) i used have me believe i was copying a bootable image of my drive?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you misunderstand what a bootable image is

a bootable image is a copy of your boot drive; which is copied sector by sector empty sectors as well as data populated sectors, when this image is "restored" to a drive "capable" of booting then it will restore a drive to a bootable condition

there are ways to boot into an environment (barts PE builder) that will allow you to access your USB external to restore the contents of your boot drive

if this concept interests you, let us know and we can point you to some tutorials which demonstrate this process

Holy Bat Guano : C-joe :pray:

I read your reply above after I made this response; think alike do we! :laugh:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
now on the other hand; if you enjoy alittle weekend Voo-doo :laugh:

and you happen to have a couple of lucky rabbits feet, the eye of a newt, and a Harry Potter wand >>>>> you can give this a try

I tried it four diff times! I was determined; although one misplaced period or space in all that registry editing and it wont work. :upset: I cant type "good morning" weithout typos :4-thatsba

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when this image is "restored" to a drive "capable" of booting. Why did they not describe it like this.
Now i understand.
If you could point me in the right direction i would be very grateful, and thanks for the quick response.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
when this image is "restored" to a drive "capable" of booting. Why did they not describe it like this.
Now i understand.
If you could point me in the right direction i would be very grateful, and thanks for the quick response.
Have a look at this article Ignore the reference to drive D:\ I clone to my external G:\ drive then if I get a problem clone my G:\ drive back to my c:\ drive. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late reply.
I will try the methods you both suggested and will let you know how i get on.
Thanks again for the help.:wave:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried Johnthepilots solution.Then changed the BIOS to boot from USB HDD Rebooted and...
The computer says.... no.
Actually it says verifying pool data and then the screen goes black. I think this could be something to do with what Crazijoe said earlier in the thread.
Any Ideas John?
Will now look at Lindermans solution.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Tried Johnthepilots solution.Then changed the BIOS to boot from USB HDD Rebooted and...
The computer says.... no.
Actually it says verifying pool data and then the screen goes black. I think this could be something to do with what Crazijoe said earlier in the thread.
Any Ideas John?
Will now look at Lindermans solution.
I'm not sure about this booting from an external HD and why you would want to do, because it's much slower than your main drives. I certainly can't on my machine using Award BIOS. What I do if I have a problem is boot from an emergency boot disc. I personally use BartPE (as mentioned by Linderman) but several are available. I then use XXClone to copy from my external HD back to my C: drive. My article refered to cloning to drive D, which can be booted from. The solution Linderman gave is another of my articles, using a different program; in this case DriveImage, but the principle is the same and it still needs a boot disc.
Regards,
John.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I basically want to use it as a back up drive if my C drive crashes so your solution is fine, I just thought it would be convenient.
So now i have a bootable copy of my C drive in case something happens that i can copy back if i need to, but whats the best way to keep updating this with new files, programs etc without rewriting the hole backup drive? Thanks again. :3stooges:

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
I basically want to use it as a back up drive if my C drive crashes so your solution is fine, I just thought it would be convenient.
So now i have a bootable copy of my C drive in case something happens that i can copy back if i need to, but whats the best way to keep updating this with new files, programs etc without rewriting the hole backup drive? Thanks again. :3stooges:
Unfortunately, to do that you need the Pro version. I run two copies; one on my D drive and one on my external drive and alternate between them on a weekly basis. That way if the worst happens and somethings goes wrong (eg power cut) whilst I'm backing up I've always got the other to fall back on. I chose a time when I'm not going to be using the machine for a couple of hours and just let it get on with backing up the whole drive. Additionally, I have my external drive partitioned. I have the XXClone clone on the main active partition, then make more regular images with DriveImage on the second partition, deleting the oldest each time I make a new one. Belt and braces, I know, but at least I know I will never lose everything again. Once was enough :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
The pro version of XXclone which is the "paid" for version is the easiest and uses the least hard drive space.

the feature you are interested in is called "incremental" back-up

its makes the re-cloning process much faster by only coping the changes since your last cloning.

well worth the investment, unless you dont care if you lose your data?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.