Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, thanks in advance for tips/advice.

I recently set up a wifi network around my home, linksys router and a belkin wireless g plus (not mimo) card. I had no problem getting the router set up, and the card installed perfectly, except the Belkin wireless network "client" doesn't work correctly. I set it up to use windows Wireless Zero Config, and it found the linksys router, but I found I can't connect. On further investigation (using NetStumbler), I discovered there are 5-6 linksys connections in range, and a friend told me they're probably interfering with one another. The problem is that the WZC only shows 1 linksys network due to them all having the same SSID. Is there a better client program I can use, something that would show ALL of them so I can find my own connection on the list? Something like NetStumbler, but also giving the ability to connect to the networks rather than just show the info? Also, none of the linksys ones (including mine) are passworded, so that just adds to the general confusion. I'm hoping to find a freeware (or at least cheap) of the aforementioned type of program. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
423 Posts
GO to the router setup screen and change the SSID to something other than linksys. Any name will you like do.

Then you will at least be able to see you own network in WZC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem being that i can't connect to it...
I keep getting someone elses connection and getting a little/no connectivity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi surge!

hey buddy have you tried configure your lan settings in your pc to look for the exact ssid that you setup with your wifi router? if you havent then you should first set it up so that your pc can see your router..:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried tried, but I can't get it to work... Any way someone can help? >.< I've tried manualy configuring it, but even when it says it's connected to Linksys after that, I get 0 received.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
First off, you should NEVER try to configure your router from a wireless connection. Connect with a wire and configure it that way.

If you have a lot of wireless networks close by, you are probably going to have to do something to increase your signal strength, or simply run a wire.

You can pick either a uni-directional antenna (if you have multiple wireless clients), or a directional one for a single client. Here's a sampling of the kinds of antennas available, all the major wireless equipment makers have them: Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Antennas

You can also boost your signal strength to rise above the noise with one of these units: [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.