Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
firstly, thanks to anyone who happens to be reading this.

i am experiencing a bit of a problem and i am not sure what is causing it or how to fix it. i am fairly knowledgeable with computers but i have not seen this before.

a description of the problem: intermittently, my mouse will freeze briefly (anywhere from 1 to 5 secs) as i move it across the screen. at the beginning of this freeze, i will hear a beep and when the freeze finishes, i hear another beep. if i am not using the mouse, this doesn't occur. [also, my mouse is an optical intellimouse - the light goes out during this freeze, and turns back on after the freeze]

sometimes this occurs so frequently, it becomes a frustration just to perform a simple task and this task can take minutes in what should be done in seconds. (like moving the mouse point across the screen.

i havent installed any new software, but i have started using outlook. not sure if these are related, but as i thought, it might have to do with e-mail notification so i deactivated the email notification and e-mail notification beeps. however, this did not solve the problem

i am at a loss, and if anyone has any advice, experience with this problem, or knows the general cause - it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

jordan watt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
hmm, after a little though, i am thinking this may be the cause of my computer thinking there is new hardware to install.

periodically, when i select 'add new hardware', i get a message stating something along the lines of 'windows is already installing new hardware, please complete the hardware installation before continuing' and i have no idea what hardware it's trying to install

i really dunno though, i am trying to figure this out and nothing is working...

ps: my mouse is USB

·
Registered
852 Posts
It might be a USB problem and not a mouse problem. Try first going into the bios and dis-abling PS2 support if it exists. Then if that don't help re enable it, and get an adaptor to plug your USB mouse into the PS2 port.

Usb I dont like for mice and keyboards since it don't come into play at the bios level. You can like it if you want; I have grown to dislike it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jamman: yeah i came to some similar conclusions similar to that after hanging out with some techies on irc.

either some kind of cable/cord/connection problem, seems to be overloading the buffer.

seems to be quite tempermental and intermittent. hasn't been a problem all day.

thanks

S

·
0 Posts
I gave up on my USB mouse five minutes after I plugged it in.

I stuck the adapter on and not a problem since...Knock on wood (Ouch that hurt)...LOL

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
I may be way off base but I install a modem this weekend and my computer was doing the same thing. When I changed my modem from com1 to com three it stoped. Now that might not be your problem. But it solved mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.