Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I start I just want to say that I went through the "Optimising Your System For Games" sticky. I also went through the "!---IMPORTANT: Please Follow These Steps Before Posting---!" sticky. I am currently downloading DriverScanner to check my drivers. None of the other stuff helped. Okay, now here is my problem:

While playing Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, or Frontlines: Fuel of War I will have great FPS. This lasts for about ten minutes or so. Then, the game will start to have this horrible slow down problem. It doesn't matter if I am online or not. This lasts for about twenty seconds. The game will then go back to normal for about two minutes or so. The problem will then arise again lasting about the same length of time as before. This repeats.

I will tell you how the DriverScanner worked when I am done with it.

Edit: Sorry for the inconvenience. I forgot to post my specs. Here they are:

Operating System: Windows Vista Basic 32-bit(SP2 With all of the latest upgrades)

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 2.2GHz

Memory: 2GB

Graphics Card: nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB DDR2

Sound Card: Whatever came with my computer.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hi there. Welcome to TSF.

This sounds most like a heating problem to me. Download Everest and use it to check your temperatures, both while idle and under load (after 15 - 20 minutes gameplay). Post the temps back here.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
these are the specs you need to post

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the long wait. I recently downloaded Red Faction: Guerilla and for a day the problem didn't show itself. The day after downloading it I got on again. This time within twenty minutes the problem was back. I also ran a virus scan that day and got nothing but cookies which I deleted. Today I was too frustrated with any of those games to even attempt to play them. I decided to play Team Fortress which has had no problems in the past. After twenty minutes of playing, the problem was again here. This time on a game that I had played before just fine. I don't see how this could be a heating problem, but I still plan on posting the temperatures soon, since you are the experts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When running a game the temperatures stayed the game except for the graphics card which jumped up to 108°C. I have had this card for six months. Why is this just now happening. I am getting Windows 7 next week so maybe that will help?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
The hard drive (41C) and graphics card (78C) temperatures are too high. Remove the side panel from your computer case and make sure the front and rear case fans are spinning. Use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust from the CPU heatsink, card slots and fans.

See post #4. We need to see your full hardware specs. Boot into BIOS and make a note of the temperatures and PSU voltages. If the voltages are out of range, this could be contributing to the high temperatures.

Blablabity said:
I have had this card for six months. Why is this just now happening. I am getting Windows 7 next week so maybe that will help?
If you haven't cleaned the dust out of your case since you installed the card 6 months ago and/or the fans are dirty or not spinning, this can lead to the problems you're having. Windows 7 won't make any difference to your problem, but it's still worth getting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.