Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of users in my office are experiencing a very bazaar problem that I can’t for the life of me put my finger on.

This happening to about 7 users within my office and seems to happen completely randomly and has only started happening over the last few days.

Basically an msdos window randomly appears and the window has the following heading…

C:\windows\temp\LWIC.tmp\setup.exe

The “LWIC.tmp” file it refers too my alter slightly, for instance, on one PC it my be “LW21C.tmp” and then something different on the next. Once I close this msdos window I get the following error message;

C:\windows\temp\LWIC.tmp\setup.exe
The NTDVM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
C5:06eb IP:0309 OP: 6f 6e 66 69 chose close to terminate the application.

I’ve searched the hard drives and registries of the systems in question for any reference to tmp files reported but can’t find anything.

This seems to be creating a problem with the printers of the users affected as once this message has appeared the printer starts firing out blank paper!?!?!?!?!?

Nothing has been changed on these systems.

There isn't a common link between these systems... i.e. they don't all share a printer or have the same software.

They're all XP systems.

I’ve run the latest antivirus software on all concerned it’s come up with nothing.

There’s no reference to these tmp files anywhere on the internet… I’m pretty much lost for ideas?

PLEASE HELP! WILL SEND BEER TOKENS.

Regards

Matt

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have you used a Registry cleaner?

Also, boot in Safe Mode and run a chkdsk.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
It was the offer of Beer Tokens that lured me in.

It's a pretty clear-cut case of a malware infection. I assume the 7 computers are networked.

Follow dai's suggestion and eventually a malware removal expert will come along to help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.