Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a custom build pc that started to not have any sign of booting after unplugging the cord.
It has been happening often recently.
If I unplug the cord after shutdown the PC and flipped the switch next to the power cord, it won't turn on after I replug in the cord.

None of the fans connected to the motherboard are spinning when I push the power button.
The LED of GPU lights up showing there is power feeding to the GPU.
The fan spins when I push the "test fan" button on my power supply.
I have tried to push the power button for 1 min to release remained charges then plug in and tried to power on again, which didn't work this time. The same trick I used twice to boot my computer in the past. I replaced the CMOS battery on the motherboard and re-inserted the RAM, then did the "power drain" trick, didn't work again.
Here is my spec:
CPU Intel i7 7700k
Cooler: Corseir AIO h100i
Motherboard: MSI Z270 krait gaming
Power Supply: Corsair HX850i
GPU ASUS GTX-1070
Ram: Corsair ddr4 64g

Any help would be very much appreciated! I have been trying to have it back for a whole day and I am well out of my depth.
Thank you very much for your help guys.

·
Global Moderator
51,480 Posts
Truthfully, it sounds like you have a motherboard issue. It could be the processor, but that's a whole lot less likely. However, it could also be the power supply, but my money is on the MB crapping out.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,924 Posts
What I'd do is take it back down to bare bones out on a table. Nothing but
  • motherboard (on a non-conductive surface)
  • CPU (w/heatsink & fan)
  • RAM
  • PSU
  • video (including monitor)
  • keyboard and mouse

Now see if it will boot into the BIOS/UEFI. If not, try a different PSU and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS/UEFI reset it to factory defaults.

If it's bootable now, try running an Operating System (*nix) from a bootable USB flash drive. Exercise it some (web) and then leave it running overnight.

If it's still where you left it the night before, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and try the same, (exercise it, web, games, whatever), and leave it running overnight.

If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond the bare minimum though, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. You get the idea ...

·
457 Posts
Could be the mainboard, GPU, or PSU. What I would do first is uninstall the GTX 1070, try using just your 7700k iGPU see if it might be a PSU issue how old is that HX850i? If it starts up and runs fine with iGPU it's not the motherboard it's a power issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be the mainboard, GPU, or PSU. What I would do first is uninstall the GTX 1070, try using just your 7700k iGPU see if it might be a PSU issue how old is that HX850i? If it starts up and runs fine with iGPU it's not the motherboard it's a power issue.
The PSU is about 4.5 years old. The whole gear was assembled around xmas 2016. This PC was idle for quite a long time (approx 1year), this started happening when I tried to clean everything and try to boot back.

·
457 Posts
When you say you tried to clean everyting it's possible that you knocked some things loose and you might just need to reseat some things. How exactly did you try to clean everything you mean you tried to clean the PC and the parts within or do you mean you didn't physically touch any parts and you mean you tried to clean-reinstall the operating system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your reply. I left the PC off with cord pulled out, then pushed the power button for about 10 sec while off. Then I connected everything, the PC then started and booted into BIOS. Not sure what was happening there. Would anyone have any idea why it decided to power back on?

Thanks again!

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,924 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts