Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the thing, I have this computer that was fine, until one day I woke up and went on the computer like I usually do, and it was working fine until it shutdown and just refused to go back on. We took it to the local computer shop to be looked at and they just declared it dead, I figure you guyz won't be able to help me resurrect my computer from the dead, but I'm willing to try anything anyway cause otherwise I just got a big piece of metal junk laying around my house.

Okay, I boot my computer, it comes up with a screen that asks me if I want to run my computer in "Safe Mode", Normal mode, Safe mode with command prompt" and something else. And no matter what I choose, my computer just shuts down and reboots itself. Now this probably won't be fixable cause I can't even get to the screen where you login. But I would appreciate anything that you guyz could recommend to me to help. Thanks! :1angel:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

That is not funny, but it really is when you took it to a computer shop and they told you the computer was dead.....DUH, looks like they would have known that since you took it to find out what wrong with it, and also did not try to fix it. That makes me angry when shops do that so therefore, this is why I am on a rant.

There could be several reasons for this problem and I suggest that you take things one at a time until you find out what it is. It just does not sound like from what you have said that it is dead and can not be revived, but hey, have been wrong before.

Now, I would suggest that you start by clearing the CMOS and when it comes back up, then set it to the factory default and then try it. You can do that by: 1) removing the clear jumper from pins one and two to the two and three position....waiting a few minutes and then moving it back to the one and two positions. >OR> 2) Take the motherboard battery out for a few minutes and then replace it. Make sure you see how it came out so you can get it back like it was.

That would be the first thing I would try if it were mine.

G

·
Is this a desktop computer or a laptop ?

Basically seems like the technicians at that store were dumb as rock. How can you possibly say a computer is dead ? Everything can be fixed. Might be costly and in some cases not worth to spend great deal of money on an old system. But the manner should not be that. You should have been told what the problem was and given reasons why to get it fixed or why not.

Do you have important data in your system ?

If you do you can install that HD to a different computer ( needs to be very well protected - antivirus - firewall ) and transfer the data to the other HD.

Then install your HD to your computer again. Then go to your BIOS ( hit DEL or F2 for some systems during bootup ) in that menu go to advanced settings or boot sequence and set first boot device floppy second cd-rom third harddisk. Then F10 exit.

Go to http://dban.sourceforge.net/ and download the dban utility. ( get the floppy one ) Copy it to the floppy and boot it from your computer and follow the instructions. You can find detailed instructions on the website also. This utility will do a good harddisk care while erasing everything on the drive.

Do you have your OS disk ? I hope you do. Then boot it from the cd and reinstall your OS. If it doesnt install the OS let us know what kind of error you got.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, Dban won't let me download the program on to two seperate floppies, and it is too large for one. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I did the Dban thing. Then I turned off my computer and turned it back on. and it says choose startup disk on A:/ do I need to remove the hard drive battery so I can reset my bios, or how do I get to where I can install windows?

G

·
Then go to your BIOS ( hit DEL or F2 for some systems during bootup ) in that menu go to advanced settings or boot sequence and set first boot device floppy second cd-rom third harddisk. Then F10 exit.
Insert your OS cd in and boot. Follow the instructions. You can also use this guide.

·
1,438 Posts
VeryUpset said:
Okay, here's the thing, I have this computer that was fine, until one day I woke up and went on the computer like I usually do, and it was working fine until it shutdown and just refused to go back on. We took it to the local computer shop to be looked at and they just declared it dead, I figure you guyz won't be able to help me resurrect my computer from the dead, but I'm willing to try anything anyway cause otherwise I just got a big piece of metal junk laying around my house.

Okay, I boot my computer, it comes up with a screen that asks me if I want to run my computer in "Safe Mode", Normal mode, Safe mode with command prompt" and something else. And no matter what I choose, my computer just shuts down and reboots itself. Now this probably won't be fixable cause I can't even get to the screen where you login. But I would appreciate anything that you guyz could recommend to me to help. Thanks! :1angel:
Instead of wiping your hard drive, I would try booting to a boot floppy first or a bootable CD (Do you have a copy of norton or mcafee antivirus? ) . If it shuts down from that point, it is probably either an issue of an unstable power supply or your processor overheating.
If nothing else, you could boot to your Install/ recovery cd and just leave it there sitting for a bit and see if it crashes.
Remember, in ME the login is just cosmetic.
Have you tried the command prompt only option (same place as safe mode boot)
at the C:_> prompt type
scandisk
to run scandisk and check for errors on the hard drive and repair them. Again if it crashes here, it is almost certainly your power supply, a short on your motherboard, or a problem with the processor overheating.
It could be that the manufacturer was cheap and did not use enough of the red fiber washers which isolate the motherboard from the case (Ideally you should have one above and one below the board at each mounting screw and you should have nylon insulator Ts in any unused domes or if you have a case with brass standoffs, all unused standoffs should be removed). Over time, the screws loosened enough so that the board shifted a bit and something can short. Or it could be a drive gone bad and shorted, or as noted a bad power supply which when you start powering up PCI card devices and drives just can't handle the load and shuts off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.