Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem;

When I try to conect to a dial up account, I get a message saying for me to check the content advisor settings. When I try to connect to the internet, I can get online fine & check my email but can not browse the net. Sometimes I can if I type in the content advisor password.

Here is what I have done;

Tried a different internet account, deleted dial up networking & all internet settings & reinstalled dial up networking with all the internet settings. I also ran an updated virus scan & did find a virus & removed it. It was a trojan dialer virus. After I removed the virus I still get the same thing to happen.... I uninstalled network adapter & all network settings & reinstalled them. I even tried to hook this computer up to a cable internet connection & it would not work...

I still get the dang message saying for me to check the content advisor settings. I have checked them & set them at all possible settings available with the correct password & it is like it will not accept the changes for some reason. I have also tried to disable the content advisor & when I do, I hit apply & then OK & I can restart the computer & the content advisor is enabled again & all the settings I have made are back to where I changed them from. This computer is now virus free & I can not understand what is going on. I am running Windows 98se with IE 5.5. I thought about trying a windows update if I could browse the net & seeing if that would help...

This computers dial up account is a proxy account but I have deleted it & removed all proxy settings & am trying a new dial up non proxy account...

Is there a way for me to totaly wipe out this content advisor so it will not even work? Or is there anything else I can do. I am on the verge of reinstalling Windows completely but hate to do this. I am sure the virus it had did this but am clueless as to what to do. Please help!!!

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
Which version of IE do you have? You can try upgrading or even just reinstalling it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wantabe said:
Here is my problem;

When I try to conect to a dial up account, I get a message saying for me to check the content advisor settings. When I try to connect to the internet, I can get online fine & check my email but can not browse the net. Sometimes I can if I type in the content advisor password.

Here is what I have done;

Tried a different internet account, deleted dial up networking & all internet settings & reinstalled dial up networking with all the internet settings. I also ran an updated virus scan & did find a virus & removed it. It was a trojan dialer virus. After I removed the virus I still get the same thing to happen.... I uninstalled network adapter & all network settings & reinstalled them. I even tried to hook this computer up to a cable internet connection & it would not work...

I still get the dang message saying for me to check the content advisor settings. I have checked them & set them at all possible settings available with the correct password & it is like it will not accept the changes for some reason. I have also tried to disable the content advisor & when I do, I hit apply & then OK & I can restart the computer & the content advisor is enabled again & all the settings I have made are back to where I changed them from. This computer is now virus free & I can not understand what is going on. I am running Windows 98se with IE 5.5. I thought about trying a windows update if I could browse the net & seeing if that would help...

This computers dial up account is a proxy account but I have deleted it & removed all proxy settings & am trying a new dial up non proxy account...

Is there a way for me to totaly wipe out this content advisor so it will not even work? Or is there anything else I can do. I am on the verge of reinstalling Windows completely but hate to do this. I am sure the virus it had did this but am clueless as to what to do. Please help!!!
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=416A45E7-F7EB-4F3B-B9E9-913D8774947A

update your explorer with SP1

Offer some '****' facilty but its stable..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.